Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Driver's Licence

Texas Driver's Licence

Old Nov 29th 2002, 11:47 am
Just Joined

dreimers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas Driver's Licence

My wife and I are thinking of buying a car in Houston and driving down to the Lake Chappala district in Mexico, where we plan on staying for about 6 months. After that we plan on driving all over the US and Canada.We are Canadians, and hold valid British Columbia driver's licences. We have been told that in order to obtain insurance for our car, at the time of purchase, we will need to have a valid Texas Driver's licence.
Does anyone have any info on subject?
Old Dec 8th 2002, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Capn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Texas Drivers Licence

Afraid it's true. I live in Fort Worth and bought a nice shiny new SUV, only to find out I couldn't get it insured with my UK licence. Apparently the companies can't track you without a local licence, therefore you have to get one.

Not to worry though, the Texas test is so easy in comparison to the UK. Just turn up at the DMV, ask for a test and off you go. 30 questions on a test, of which you have to answer 21 correctly (and only three or four are about fines, etc. the rest is common sense), and a 5 minute drive round the local neighbourhood ending with a bit of parallel parking and you have your licence.

Good luck!

Cap'n
Old Dec 8th 2002, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Capn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A little more

Ooops, forgot to say, they also ask for evidence of residency/ immigration status for a licence. I notice there's a lot of discussion further down on this topic too.

Cap'n
Old Dec 8th 2002, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

trasler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Texas Driver's Licence

To get a Texas Drivers Licence, you must have either a US social security number or a waiver from the Social Security offices stating that you have been refused a SSN.

You will have to visit a Social Security office, wait in line and ask for the waiver. I don't know what they will ask you before granting the waiver. I suggest you telephone a social security office and find out what they need to see.

Originally posted by dreimers
My wife and I are thinking of buying a car in Houston and driving down to the Lake Chappala district in Mexico, where we plan on staying for about 6 months. After that we plan on driving all over the US and Canada.We are Canadians, and hold valid British Columbia driver's licences. We have been told that in order to obtain insurance for our car, at the time of purchase, we will need to have a valid Texas Driver's licence.
Does anyone have any info on subject?