Reload this Page >

Texas DMV - can anyone help?

Texas DMV - can anyone help?

Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:41 am
Just Joined

codearchitect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas DMV - can anyone help?

Hello,

I'm in the middle of having my conditional residence status removed (I751) and have received the letter from the Government extending my green card for 1 year while they process my application.

So here I go trundling off to the local Texas DMV to apply for a learners permit (I lived in London all my life so I never had a UK license). The lovely lady checks my papers and tells me they cannot accept my letter as proof.

Does this mean I have to wait until my actual renewed green card arrives before I can get a learners permit (or even drivers licence)??? I need to drive for a new job I just got!

Can anyone help?
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:23 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas DMV - can anyone help?

Originally Posted by codearchitect
Hello,

I'm in the middle of having my conditional residence status removed (I751) and have received the letter from the Government extending my green card for 1 year while they process my application.

So here I go trundling off to the local Texas DMV to apply for a learners permit (I lived in London all my life so I never had a UK license). The lovely lady checks my papers and tells me they cannot accept my letter as proof.

Does this mean I have to wait until my actual renewed green card arrives before I can get a learners permit (or even drivers licence)??? I need to drive for a new job I just got!

Can anyone help?
I had a similar problem when I first applied, but I only had copies of my H1-B petition, I was told I had to get the original documents from my lawyer in order to get a license. I know in some states certain DMV's are geared up for international applicants where as others aren't, when I found the right DMV it was easy, they made some phone calls to whoever and came back and processed my application that day, I was in and out of DMV's for a couple of weeks until I was told to try a certain DMV, when I got there they didn't even want the H1-B petition and looked confused as to why I had even brought it.

I had a UK license at the time.

Try a different DMV just to see if they give you different information.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:40 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

(I lived in London all my life so I never had a UK license).
Same here, had some wonderful fun, with learning to drive, and getting my permit. Don't know about Texas at all, so can't really help, but i wish you the best of luck in learning and getting the permit
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Ask to speak to the uniformed State Trooper. The civilians behind the desk may only follow the rules, only the Trooper can use his/her discretion to bend them.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Try another office, there a bunch of muppets anyway...
Old Aug 24th 2006, 4:23 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Why get a Learner's permit? Go for the full driving test. As long as you can point the car in a straight line and stop at stop signs, you will pass easily.

Just remember, the little pedal on the right makes the car go. The big one in the middle makes it stop. And the wheel thing in front of you lets you point the car where you want to go. Dead easy really.

alex.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:37 am
Just Joined

The question is can they accept my "letter" instead of the actual green card? Is it legal or are they being bureaucratic and stupid?

I just want to know if I am right and the DMV are wrong!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:41 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The question is can they accept my "letter" instead of the actual green card? Is it legal or are they being bureaucratic and stupid?

I just want to know if I am right and the DMV are wrong!
Basically yes.. unless you can get the I-551 stamp in your passport ..
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Basically yes.. unless you can get the I-551 stamp in your passport ..
Trooper wouldn't simply accept that stamp because it was only valid for a few months. He wanted proof that I was here to stay so Amy and I had to show him proper IDs (passports) and our wedding certificate. But mind you, only the Trooper has that authority, not the civilians manning the front desk.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

After many arguments at my local one, they accepted the receipt for my green crad which was only a about 3 inches by 1.5 and looked like something from a 80's till. If they don't budge, make them call the head office fro the state, they will tell them to accept it.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:48 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Try another office, there a bunch of muppets anyway...
Ain't that the truth! When I lived in Colorado I thought I would be smart by going to a smaller rural DMV because there would be no lines. There were no lines, but they didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Didn't know what a I-551 stamp was, and wouldn't give me a DL.

Ending up going to the downtown Denver office, waited 2 hours in line, but got a 10 year DL within 2 minutes of getting to the desk!

So, go to another office, preferably an urban one where they are used to seeing immigrants.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Why get a Learner's permit? Go for the full driving test. As long as you can point the car in a straight line and stop at stop signs, you will pass easily.
some states, you have to get the learners permit before taking the test though...
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Well you know I really didn't think that the Mckinney DMV, Texas which is about 30 miles north of Dallas would be so backwards! I guess I try the more urbane Dallas DMV!

Wish me luck
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you know I really didn't think that the Mckinney DMV, Texas which is about 30 miles north of Dallas would be so backwards! I guess I try the more urbane Dallas DMV!

Wish me luck

haha welcome to texas m8y
oh and good luck
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:56 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Wish me luck
???????? you start seeing rednecks 1/2 a mile outside of the city where I live

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.