Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tesco faces defeat in battle for America

Tesco faces defeat in battle for America

Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco faces defeat in battle for America

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yes but that was my point really, Tesco today isn't Tesco from years back, they're replacing their stores with these "Xtra" stores that seem to be based on Wal-Mart Super Centers and they're bloody awful. If you haven't been to the UK in awhile your comparison may be off.
My sister heads up the Product Assessment Centres in the UK for Tescos and as a trained chef and huge foodie is shocked by the decline in British tastes towards foods - people want that prepackaged, chemical infused, frozen stuff. I have to say some of their cook-chill food is fabulous - definitely on a par with M&S.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
Is the US shopping experience really that bad?
I think US shopping is generally okay, I just wish they would embrace the 'shopping on line' that all of the UK supermarkets do. It surprises me sometimes that the US is way behind in quite a few things like that, oh, and also digital TV!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:34 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
I know in Florida there was Wal-Mart and then the over priced Publix. Publix is great for coupon deals, but to walk in with a list, it was outrageous.
Publix is expensive. I thought it was just me, but supermarkets over here really do seem far more expensive than those in the UK when it comes to stuff that's actually good for you, rather than processed/packaged crap.

Publix is just a generic American supermarket chain. It's much like Stop & Shop in the northeast. They do vary though. Some of the bigger Publix supermarkets aren't bad, but the prices...ugh. There really isn't an alternative here in FL, apart from Winn-Dixie. I refuse to shop at Walmart for anything out of principle.

Generally, I find US supermarkets to be very depressing places. I don't have the luxury of being able to shop at Whole Foods to get the same quality / variety of food that I'd find in your average Tesco or Sainsbury's.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But Winn-Dixie is bloody awful. I agree some Publix supermarkets are better than others, the larger ones tend to be pretty good though, certainly better than Albertson's. Kroger's varies a lot as well. I wouldn't say any of them are crap necessarily because they're better than Albertson's and Safeway but they don't bring tears of appreciation to my eyes either.

The best Kroger's are the ones in the NW called Fred Meyer's. Kroger's has too many brand names imo, they need to consolidate. In the NW they're called Fred Meyer's and also Smith's, in the SW they're called Fry's as well as Smith's, in the SE they're actually Kroger's, etc.