Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tesco coming to the US?

Tesco coming to the US?

Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tesco coming to the US?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
And the Asda staff pat their own arses
Could be worse...
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
But you have to pay real close attention. Walmart has made a name of being cheaper, and they are if you buy the stuff that is advertised at the end of each aisle. But if you walk into the aisle and compare prices on identical items, they are often more expensive.
Agree with that. Only things cheap in Walmart, are the flier advertised items.. The rest is not cheap, often much dearer then other super markets.
Reg
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - small world. I worked as a contractor at Kmart in Michigan in 94 - 95. The project I was working on was integrating the ordering systems for Kmart's foreign stores (Mexico, Czech Republic) into the US systems.

I remember they had a bunch of layoffs at HQ just before Xmas 94. Remember thinking how sad it was that all these folks got layed off and I was still employed as a contractor - didn't seem right somehow.

Still, it was a similar thing that got me to Kmart in the first place. The first company I worked at as a contractor got bought out, and first thing the new management did was kick out all contractors (only 6 weeks after I'd arrived in the US) - so my next gig was Kmart.

Anyway, Tesco coming to the US would be nice, but I don't think it would be in the form we Brits think of Tesco. They'd probably expand the Meijer chain I would think. No Meijers here on the west coast.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But Tesco are different. American corps generally have no cultural awareness whatsoever. And hence Walmart is not very successful in the European market.

Tesco, however is a different kettle of fish. Where I lived before in the eastern half of the the old Czechoslovakia, the state department chain Prior was first bought out by K-Mart. What a total effing disaster! They were actually more incompetent than the previous state owners!

After it had failed miserably, Tesco bought the lot out and turned it into all round into a success in a very short period of time. They mixed their ideas with the local ideas to give a good blend of what the locals actually wanted. Luckily, the German and French chains also entered the market so Tesco was not able to gain total dominance and had to keep competing.

Tesco they one of the few companies that have a track record that shows they could wipe the floor with stupid Wally World. They may not be angels but they certainly look that way when compared with the evil Wally empire. And I think everybody would actually win if Tesco and Walmart were competing in the US market.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Anyway, Tesco coming to the US would be nice, but I don't think it would be in the form we Brits think of Tesco. They'd probably expand the Meijer chain I would think. No Meijers here on the west coast.
Tesco are interesting because when you visit a Tesco in the Czech or Slovak republics it is and it isn't Tesco. It looks like a Tesco and feels like a Tesco but it contains the habits, prejudices and preferences of the locals where this is important, combined with those of the mighty Tesco where they are not. (Luckily, they usually put in a small shelf at the back somewhere for the expats with cook-in sauces and such like.)

K-Mart deserved everything they got in Central Evropa -- a bloody nose! The other European supermarket chains are thriving; the US one sank without a trace.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:33 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
K-Mart deserved everything they got in Central Evropa -- a bloody nose! The other European supermarket chains are thriving; the US one sank without a trace.
All I know is that whenever I mistakenly visit the local K-Mart, I can never find an employee who speaks English. Hence to Target off I go.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
All I know is that whenever I mistakenly visit the local K-Mart, I can never find an employee who speaks English. Hence to Target off I go.
Think they've given up all pretence of speaking English in their US stores. The only ones left round us do the announcements in Spanish over the PA and play Spanish radio stations. Haven't been in one for a while, though. The nearest, which I occassionally popped into for odds and sods as it was convenient, is now a Home Depot.