British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tesco coming to the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tesco-coming-us-339177/)

thing1 Nov 23rd 2005 6:19 pm

Tesco coming to the US?

Those who live near a Meijer or are familiar with Meijer will be interested in the below linked story.

http://video.woodtv.com/index.php?video_id=1824

Reuters article

Manc Nov 23rd 2005 6:22 pm

Re: Tesco coming to the US?

WOW! :)
that would be ace.

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 23rd 2005 6:22 pm

I for one would be happy to see a Tesco's here....but my closest Meijer is in Kentucky. Looks like its Publix for me for a while still.

thing1 Nov 23rd 2005 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I for one would be happy to see a Tesco's here....but my closest Meijer is in Kentucky. Looks like its Publix for me for a while still.

I'm no where near a Meijer now either...but my hope is that if Meijer and Tesco join forces, they will become not just a regional chain, but a national one. After all, they are trying to compete with Wal-Mart and to do so, they will have to become national. I would be happy to have a Meijer/Tesco here in Missouri. :D

Sarah Nov 23rd 2005 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by thing1
I'm no where near a Meijer now either...but my hope is that if Meijer and Tesco join forces, they will become not just a regional chain, but a national one. After all, they are trying to compete with Wal-Mart and to do so, they will have to become national. I would be happy to have a Meijer/Tesco here in Missouri. :D

I hope they kick Walmarts ass! I hope they implement that their workers have to wear decent uniforms, instead of looking like carnie folk in dirty blue waitcoats and that they get to sit down while working at the checkout, that they all have a massive booze section and decent meat products!

jamjar Nov 23rd 2005 6:44 pm

Interesting. I always thought Tesco and Target might join forces. They both carry Cherokee brand clothing.
The only Meijers I have ever been too is in my hubby's hometown in Ohio. It's quite incredible. I had to describe it to people back home as a store where you can buy a four person pedal boat at 2am.

Sophia_S Nov 23rd 2005 7:39 pm

Those who live near a Meijer or are familiar with Meijer will be interested in the below linked story.

http://video.woodtv.com/index.php?video_id=1824

Reuters article

That would be GREAT!,there's a new Meijers just about to open in Bloomington,IL.,just round the corner from the super walmart,I reckon it will probably be open by Xmas,from the looks of things....if they do merge with Tesco,I might just be on cloud nine!lol...Sophia :)

AdobePinon Nov 23rd 2005 7:50 pm

Ahhhhhh..... only four state lines to cross to get to my bottle of Tesco Brand Scotch. :beer:

anotherlimey Nov 23rd 2005 7:51 pm

I wonder if they'll rebrand it Tesco, or are they just getting a foot into the US market?

biccy Nov 23rd 2005 10:06 pm

Something tells me it will be like when Walmart bought Asda, ergo not much different at all

fatbrit Nov 23rd 2005 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by biccy
Something tells me it will be like when Walmart bought Asda, ergo not much different at all

But Tesco are different. American corps generally have no cultural awareness whatsoever. And hence Walmart is not very successful in the European market.

Tesco, however is a different kettle of fish. Where I lived before in the eastern half of the the old Czechoslovakia, the state department chain Prior was first bought out by K-Mart. What a total effing disaster! They were actually more incompetent than the previous state owners!

After it had failed miserably, Tesco bought the lot out and turned it into all round into a success in a very short period of time. They mixed their ideas with the local ideas to give a good blend of what the locals actually wanted. Luckily, the German and French chains also entered the market so Tesco was not able to gain total dominance and had to keep competing.

Tesco they one of the few companies that have a track record that shows they could wipe the floor with stupid Wally World. They may not be angels but they certainly look that way when compared with the evil Wally empire. And I think everybody would actually win if Tesco and Walmart were competing in the US market.

Roadster280 Nov 24th 2005 12:03 am

One in seven pounds spent in the retail market in the UK goes in Tesco's direction. A massive market share, considering all the players.

But take on Walmart? No. Only if they go with Target. IMHO the only reason Walmart wins at the moment is price. Target tries to aim slightly higher in the food chain, but it isnt as successful as Walmart. Much as I hate them, I will be putting about $1500 in Walmart's register on Friday. Why? Because it would be more like $2000 elsewhere. I bought a car from CarMax. Why? Because they were about $4000 cheaper than a "proper dealer". Money talks when there are a couple of zeros in the difference.

Good Luck Tesco!

AdobePinon Nov 24th 2005 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Roadster280
But take on Walmart? No. Only if they go with Target. IMHO the only reason Walmart wins at the moment is price.

But you have to pay real close attention. Walmart has made a name of being cheaper, and they are if you buy the stuff that is advertised at the end of each aisle. But if you walk into the aisle and compare prices on identical items, they are often more expensive.

gruffbrown Nov 24th 2005 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Sarah
I hope they kick Walmarts ass! I hope they implement that their workers have to wear decent uniforms, instead of looking like carnie folk in dirty blue waitcoats and that they get to sit down while working at the checkout, that they all have a massive booze section and decent meat products!

And not pack your shopping :rolleyes::D

Roadster280 Nov 24th 2005 12:56 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
And not pack your shopping :rolleyes::D

Is it me, or is every Walmart (except the very new ones) absolutely filthy?