Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Terrorist Attacks in London

Terrorist Attacks in London

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:33 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future
Default Re: Terrorist Attacks in London

My thoughts and prayers for all those caught in this attack and for all citizens and residents of the UK and their families wherever they might be.

Last edited by WarriorLife; Jul 7th 2005 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:36 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Last report I heard was at least 33 killed. As others have stated, Brits and especially Londoners always act with dignity and resiliance. I was in a couple of bombings in London. One at Mill Hill when I was at police training school in Hendon and another one at the Beeb when I worked there. I was, and still am proud of how people behaved.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:37 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by sibsie
Last report I heard was at least 33 killed. As others have stated, Brits and especially Londoners always act with dignity and resiliance. I was in a couple of bombings in London. One at Mill Hill when I was at police training school in Hendon and another one at the Beeb when I worked there. I was, and still am proud of how people behaved.
Oh you were in the Met? I have cousins in the Met, I was in Humberside.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:39 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Oh you were in the Met? I have cousins in the Met, I was in Humberside.
For eight years serving Wimbledon, Mitcham, Streatham and Brixton. I joined in 1988 and left after I fell off a roof when chasing hamburglers. Sounds a lot more dramatic than it actually was. The irony was it was a hospital they were trying to break in to but it had recently closed down!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:41 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
Wintersong, this is what I addressed earlier. This is a discussion forum, nothing more, nothing less. "Even a thread like this"...don't make it into some holy thing. Go write in a prayer book for that sort of self satisfaction.

I find it hard to believe that these terrorists can justify their actions. The very word ISLAM literally means PEACE. I'd love to get one these guys by the neck and squeeze him with my 22" bicep and ask "Why the hell do you think your beloved God ALLAH would condone YOU repeatedly murdering thousands of innocent people"? I hope they all burn and rot in hell.
Holy? Hardly! I am the least holy person I know.

I don't know why I'm justifying myself to you, but I'll try to make you see where I'm coming from: People want to talk about their shock and sadness. A lot of people have just woken up to this news. It may not have been a complete surprise that London was targeted (I'm only surprised it didn't happen sooner) but that doesn't make it any less of a shock. People may have friends or relatives who work in London and be concerned about their safety. They don't want to open a thread about the attacks and be confronted with a whole load of people sounding off at each other and nitpicking about the way each individual shows their shock/sadness/horror etc etc.

I'm talking about respect for other people, not about making this thread into a prayer book.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:42 pm
ImHere

For eight years serving Wimbledon, Mitcham, Streatham and Brixton. I joined in 1988 and left after I fell off a roof when chasing hamburglers. Sounds a lot more dramatic than it actually was. The irony was it was a hospital they were trying to break in to but it had recently closed down!
Tut, clumsy. How'd you like it? Chatting to my cousins life in the Met is very different to us rural bobbies up in the sticks. I only left when we moved to the US last year...I still miss it.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:43 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by ImHere
How'd you like it? Chatting to my cousins life in the Met is very different to us rural bobbies up in the sticks. I only left when we moved to the US last year...I still miss it.
It had its moments! Not all of them good. I enjoyed my two years in uniform more than my time in The Department.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:45 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Wintersong, this is what I addressed earlier. This is a discussion forum, nothing more, nothing less. "Even a thread like this"...don't make it into some holy thing. Go write in a prayer book for that sort of self satisfaction.

I find it hard to believe that these terrorists can justify their actions. The very word ISLAM literally means PEACE. I'd love to get one these guys by the neck and squeeze him with my 22" bicep and ask "Why the hell do you think your beloved God ALLAH would condone YOU repeatedly murdering thousands of innocent people"? I hope they all burn and rot in hell.
I think you need to remove the jingoistic glasses. The French resistance carried out terrorist acts against the occupying German army and they struck out into germany when they could. We are occupying part of Arabia. What is the logical difference here. The French resistance were heros to the allies (until the USA realised that some of tham were communists). It is estimated that 100,000 innocents were killed in Iraq. I'm not applauding this but lets not blind ourselves to the facts. We created a situation for the zealots to exploit.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

On a different note, I hope the US watches how England deals with this tragedy and learns a thing or two about dignity. England will quietly pick itself up and stand strong. We won't have 9/11ish celebrity concerts, TV tributes, videos, DVD documentaries and outpourings of dramatic grief. There will be no OTT tears and public emotion. There will be no concerts and events, and drumming down everyone's throat that this is the "greatest tragedy in the modern age".

No. There will be a few moments of reflection, then back on our feet to face it with pride and quiet integrity. And just as he did during the World Wars and countless other terrorist attacks - we will stand tall and proud. Dignity without the drama. That's England.

And that is what the average everyday New Yorker, such as myself and colleagues, did after September 11th. How dare you place your country above any country's citizens who have dealt with the needless death and horror of terrorist attacks.

The attack today in London is no less nor more horrific than the occurrences on US soil on September 11th. While the loss of life in the US far outnumbers the loss of life in the UK in today's attack, the average American "joe" is just as compassionate and heartsick of what has happened in London this morning as Brits were when we were attacked.

If a public concert were needed to financially aid your country and countrymen to return their transportation system to operation quickly or to aid in the medical care of those hundreds of human beings injuried today or funds to help families who lost parent[s] through today's tragedy, our artists will come to your aid just as your artists came to ours.

Perhaps it is time to open your emotions to express your compassion rather than your mouth to voice your mistaken sense of superority
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:46 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I've just found out about htis and I feel *****ing sick. I'm sat here at work trying to concentrate and I can't because of this, I'm worried about my friends in London and I want to call them to make sure they're alright but I can't. My heart skipped about 20 *****ing beats when I saw the news, it made me choke. When will this *****ing bullsh1t ever end?
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:50 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Rete
Perhaps it is time to open your emotions to express your compassion rather than your mouth to voice your mistaken sense of superority
I can understand you getting pissed at that Rete and I've had similar talks with Mr Sibsie. I think the point a lot of people are trying to make is that this is nothing new to England, and especially London. WWII aside anyone living in London from the 1970's onwards has lived with terrorism on a very real level. The Brits do have a very different reaction to things. Maybe it's the stiff upper lip thing, the just get on with life mentality.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:50 pm
ImHere

It had its moments! Not all of them good. I enjoyed my two years in uniform more than my time in The Department.
Yep. One of the things I liked about uniform work was the visiblity to the public. I definitely had more good times than bad overall.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Awful, awful news this morning to wake up to. Hubby just talked to his dad in Whitby who spoke with my sis in law who lives and works in London. Thankfully, she is okay, but is stuck at work right now -- she is head math teacher at one of the inner city schools and none of the children have been released to go home as they have no transport to actually get home. Apparently, she could be there for hours yet.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching the news coverage this morning was awful, wishing that I could be back home and desperately trying to get hold of family and friends to see if they are ok.

But its made me so proud to be British and seeing how everyone is handling the situation is not surprising. I know terrorism is nothing new for us and growing up in and around London, threats and bombings were far too frequent. But its still hard to stomach.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:57 pm
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

My thoughts and prayers for all those caught in this attack and for all citizens and residents of the UK and their families wherever they might be.

Last edited by WarriorLife; Jul 7th 2005 at 4:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.