Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Terrifed to fly

Terrifed to fly

Old Sep 23rd 2001, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

BrokenWings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I'm after some advice here. I'm flying from Australia to Japan (overnight stay) and then Japan to Chicago. Does this seem safe? I was scared to fly before as I've never been on a plane, but now I'm terrified, altho I am still going. In the next two months if everything is okay. Any advice would be appreciated....thanks
Old Sep 24th 2001, 12:10 am
Jonathan_atc

Didn't you see Speed II? No, me neither. But there was a boat taken over. No place is
safe, every place is safe. It is all a matter of perspective.

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
Australian
    >
Vancouver.
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hey, I'm after some advice here. I'm flying from Australia to Japan (overnight[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > stay) and then Japan to Chicago. Does this seem safe? I was scared to fly before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > as I've never been on a plane, but now I'm terrified, altho I am still going. In[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the next two months if everything is okay. Any advice would be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > appreciated....thanks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 24th 2001, 4:09 am
R Haney

This is DEFINITELY the SAFEST time in the history of modern aviation to be flying
commercial airlines. The security has been increased dramatically. My only concern is
the pending price increases...

~Ralph

Old Sep 24th 2001, 7:43 am
Delany

Flying is safe, real safe, even in these times. FYI.. I am leaving from Singapore to
Boston, with transit in Tokyo, SF & Dulles. But I am so sick of people leaving stupid
post it notes in my cube about how crazy I am.

Old Sep 24th 2001, 3:12 pm
Jonathan_atc

The flight was TO LONDON. They don't care if you take a Swiss Army knife to London.
In fact, I bought one when I was there. The terrorists were careful to pick DOMESTIC
flights so that the least number of foreigners to the US were killed. Don't think
they care if you take a knife to London, not our problem. (not my opinion, we all
know it is all of our problems)

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

[usenetquote2]> >This is DEFINITELY the SAFEST time in the history of modern aviation to[/usenetquote2]
be
[usenetquote2]> >flying commercial airlines. The security has been increased dramatically.[/usenetquote2]
My
[usenetquote2]> >only concern is the pending price increases...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >~Ralph[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
really
    >
knife
    >
knew and
    >
    >
    >
because
    >
    >
    >
month
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 24th 2001, 3:25 pm
Grinch

>

What would you like? Clowns? Magic Tricks? Baloon animals?

Grinch

Old Sep 25th 2001, 3:26 am
Dianemartin

I disagree with you somewhat Kellie..... I did the same trip as that the orininal
poster is going to do in April this year including the overnight stay. As far as the
green tea goes they always offered at the same time regular tea or coffee. When juice
was offered there was always 3 to 4 juices to choose from plus you could ask for
anything else. I like my diet coke and never had any hassles when I ask for it. On a
number of occasions they offered bottled water. The food wasn't the best but there
was always a western sort of meal beside noodles and such. Above all else in between
meal and drink service times you have a call bell and can ask for almost whatever you
want. If you do take your own snacks make sure you eat them all before you get off
the plane or declare them. As far as subtitles go there you could either choose
english channels or Japanese ones that goes for music too. I dont know when your trip
was but this is from my experiences in April then my return in June (which included a
6 hour stop over)

Regards Di!

>
    >
    >
from
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
experience,
    >
    >
    >
with
    >
    >
    >
in
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I look at it, security couldn't be any tighter than it is now so the chances of something happening like Sept 11 should be greatly reduced, especially in the near term. It's funny how many auto accidents there are that kill people yet nobody thinks twice about getting in a car.
-Matt
Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:40 pm
Dianemartin

lol...... they were for this adult too!! Helped pass many hours!!!! 1st leg of the
journey was 8 1/2 hours the second 12 hours and yes they were free!!!

>
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > On the long haul part of the Japan airlines flight...... from Japan to Chicago[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and return so does Japan Airlines!!!!!!!![/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Virgin has video games for the kids.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Jonathan __|_/_/ K-1 & Adjustment of Status Help Site http://clik.to/getk1 Doc[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/visainfo/visainfo.htm[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > attorney.}[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > Maybe they have picked up their game somewhat...... I didn't have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > children[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > but from what I have seen they were well catered for...... and trust[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > expectations are high. But after all it was also the cheapest by far[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > international carriers!!!!!!![/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > My trip was in April of last year. As I said, this was all based[/usenetquote2]
on
[usenetquote2]> > my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > own[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > personal experience. On my trip, there were no soft drinks on[/usenetquote2]
offer
[usenetquote2]> > and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > "I" found the service to be quite poor based on my experiences[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > > other[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > international carriers.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Apart from a great kids meal, I found kids were not catered for at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > all.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I guess it all boils down to personal taste and expectations.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:55 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >

One of Lufthansa's partners charges. It might be United?

Old Sep 26th 2001, 3:56 am
Dianemartin

And they did on this carrier this year too...... in fact the kids were the very first
people attended to with coloring books and pencils etc!!!!! And YES I did fly
economy!!!!

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 26th 2001, 3:58 am
Dianemartin

in message

[usenetquote2]> > > My trip was in April of last year. As I said, this was all based on[/usenetquote2]
my
[usenetquote2]> > own[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > personal experience. On my trip, there were no soft drinks on offer[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > > "I" found the service to be quite poor based on my experiences with[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > international carriers.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Apart from a great kids meal, I found kids were not catered for at[/usenetquote2]
all.
[usenetquote2]> > > I guess it all boils down to personal taste and expectations.[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 29th 2001, 7:10 am
Vince

timiny74 <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'd like say something too:Once you're born you have all the chances to die someday
and that's scary!!! It can happen everywhere,and most of the time it's not where
you expect it.So just enjoy your life,and remember that flying is not that
risky.(And if i were you i'd think that i would have more chances to die in a
building than in a plane,regarding the recent events)