British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Temporary working visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/temporary-working-visa-333757/)

jane2 Oct 26th 2005 3:25 pm

Temporary working visa?

Can anyone tell me about the possibility of getting a temporary working visa for the USA? Basically, I want to undertake an unpaid internship in the US and be able to work part-time as well. I'm British. Can I do this? The internship is witha charity, if that makes any difference............

Thanks!

Nia_Nia Oct 26th 2005 3:40 pm

Re: Temporary working visa?

Originally Posted by jane2
Can anyone tell me about the possibility of getting a temporary working visa for the USA? Basically, I want to undertake an unpaid internship in the US and be able to work part-time as well. I'm British. Can I do this? The internship is witha charity, if that makes any difference............

Thanks!

If you're not getting paid why do you need a working visa? Just come out on the 90 day visa waiver and say you're on holiday staying with friends for a few months, they're hardly going to find out if you're not on the payroll are they?
Trying to get a visa when you don't really need one could complicate matters and jeopordise the whole thing. The USCIS are complete bastards and will be as awkward as humanly possible given the opportunity.

Manc Oct 26th 2005 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
If you're not getting paid why do you need a working visa? Just come out on the 90 day visa waiver and say you're on holiday staying with friends for a few months, they're hardly going to find out if you're not on the payroll are they?
Trying to get a visa when you don't really need one could complicate matters and jeopordise the whole thing. The USCIS are complete bastards and will be as awkward as humanly possible given the opportunity.

I think that really is shocking advice.

I would not advocate lying to any POE officer.

Schnorbitz Oct 26th 2005 3:49 pm

The OP stated she wanted to work part time as well. I'm assuming that she wants to get paid for this as her internship is voluntary.

Nia_Nia Oct 26th 2005 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
I think that really is shocking advice.

I would not advocate lying to any POE officer.

It would be much easier for her to do that than try to get a working visa when she doesn't need one really. You probably know as well as I do that the USCIS are real sticklers about the slightest thing and it won't matter that she's not getting paid - they'll turn it into a whole thing where she's trying to work illegally or some such bollocks.
If asked whether she intends to work at POE then I wouldn't reccomend lying but if they don't then why mention it?

jane2 Oct 26th 2005 3:56 pm

I do want to work! I just want to be able to get an evening/weekend job whilst doing an unpaid internship during the day.

There seem to be British companies offering Intership Visas but I would like to just get the visa direct from the government, if possible.

What do you think? There are so many types of visa, it's confusing me...!!

Nia_Nia Oct 26th 2005 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
The OP stated she wanted to work part time as well. I'm assuming that she wants to get paid for this as her internship is voluntary.

Oh yes, so she did, whoops!

In that case you will have to get a working visa there is no two ways about it.

Good luck, working visa's are notoriously difficult to get. In a lot of cases you have to get the person you want to work for to petition the government on your behalf stating that there is nobody else within a 15 (?) mile radius who can do the job.

jane2 Oct 26th 2005 4:01 pm

I think what I need is a J1 visa, right?

This:

http://exchanges.state.gov/education...rivate/swt.htm

sounds just about perfect. Does anyone know if Gap year students (like me) are eligible?

Also, do you have to apply through one of their 'sponsors' or can you do it yourself?

Manc Oct 26th 2005 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jane2
I think what I need is a J1 visa, right?

This:

http://exchanges.state.gov/education...rivate/swt.htm

sounds just about perfect. Does anyone know if Gap year students (like me) are eligible?

Also, do you have to apply through one of their 'sponsors' or can you do it yourself?

J1 visa's are for students, whom are studying. I have a kid from Brazil staying with us on a J1 Visa as he's going to the local high school.

you cannot work "carte blanche" on a J1 visa

jjmb Oct 26th 2005 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
J1 visa's are for students, whom are studying. I have a kid from Brazil staying with us on a J1 Visa as he's going to the local high school.

you cannot work "carte blanche" on a J1 visa

Isn't that the visa Lesley was on...she was being paid as far as I am aware?

Bob Oct 26th 2005 7:24 pm

Best bet would be to look into BUNAC, those type of places, habitat for humanity sort of things...

Duncan Roberts Oct 27th 2005 2:03 pm

I did BUNACs work America plan a few years ago and it was good. The only problem if that you can only do it over a summer and you have to be a student or just graduated student. They do have an OPT America plan which anyone under a certain age can do but it costs a lot more and the stipulations about the job are quite tight. Both give you J-1.