Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary purchase of a car?

Wikiposts

Temporary purchase of a car?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary purchase of a car?

Originally Posted by Glenn1954
Thanks. I'm OK with the visa requirments. I'll take a look at the site for any other tips.
$1300 seems very high for car hire. We used to do long-term car hire (~ 3 months at a time) and usually paid around $750/month for a full-size. What we did was negotiate a kind of 'special leasing arrangement' with the car hire company. Obviously it's important to speak to the manager about things like this, not just some call-centre person. (We called around but usually ended up with Enterprise or Budget, AFAIR)

Considering the amount you'll pay for insurance (if you can get it without a local licence, which seems unlikely!), you might be better off renting. Particularly if you factor in depreciation and the hassle of buying the car at a time when you probably have other things to worry about.

(FWIW, we paid around $1800 for our first year's car insurance... )
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:51 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I see we've met before.
Ah, yes. It all makes sense now. (BTW, it was in Ohio. )
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:56 am
shaggin' the night away

Glenn1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
$1300 seems very high for car hire. We used to do long-term car hire (~ 3 months at a time) and usually paid around $750/month for a full-size. What we did was negotiate a kind of 'special leasing arrangement' with the car hire company. Obviously it's important to speak to the manager about things like this, not just some call-centre person. (We called around but usually ended up with Enterprise or Budget, AFAIR)

Considering the amount you'll pay for insurance (if you can get it without a local licence, which seems unlikely!), you might be better off renting. Particularly if you factor in depreciation and the hassle of buying the car at a time when you probably have other things to worry about.

(FWIW, we paid around $1800 for our first year's car insurance... )
That's interesting. I couldn't find proper long-term car hire on the net. Did you negotiate in the UK or direct with the US?

Did it include LDW?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:04 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. I couldn't find proper long-term car hire on the net. Did you negotiate in the UK or direct with the US?

Did it include LDW?
Oh definitely direct with the US.

Not sure about LDW - too long ago and DH arranged it. I think we took out travel insurance with American Express which covers you for up to 90 days, including CDW for car hire). Also includes medical cover - now that's something else you'll have to think about!!!... :scared:

Not sure whether you could have two 3-months' trips in quick succession on such a policy though...
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could try one of the smaller car companies that use older cars

http://www.rentawreck.com/ for example, might be cheaper than the big boys? Just a thought
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:32 am
shaggin' the night away

Glenn1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
Perhaps you could try one of the smaller car companies that use older cars

http://www.rentawreck.com/ for example, might be cheaper than the big boys? Just a thought
Thanks.

The $1300 was with one of the smaller companies. I've just checked again. It seems it's cheaper to book from UK, but they'll only qoute 28 days on net. Yes car hire is £600 for a full size.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:13 am
Homebody

Thanks.

The $1300 was with one of the smaller companies. I've just checked again. It seems it's cheaper to book from UK, but they'll only qoute 28 days on net. Yes car hire is £600 for a full size.
I think you'll probably have to bite the bullet and call them in person and negotiate - unlikely can you sort this out on the net!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Off to California soon for 6-12 months on a B1 visa. Can I purchase a car (to auction later) without a SSN? If so, what 'do' I need for documentation, and will I be able to get temporary insurance? Read the threads on insurance. I'm 51, full no claims, no accidents in last 9 years and no convictions in last 6. Car hire is going to cost me in the region of $1300 a month.

Thanks.
Hi if you are not a resident in CA you can use your UK license if it is valid. Read this link.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#2500

You can also get car insurance for six months and use your UK license with some insurance company. We had to do that when we first came as my husband wanted to change the insurance when he found a better one and when I arrived I was put onto it with my UK license until I got my CA one. It will work out a little more expensive than a year policy and it will also depend on what zip code you are living in. Not all companies do short terms polices but Bristol and West insurance will definitely do it that is who we are with. As you don't have any history of insurance cover in the US you should bring a copy of your insurance policy from home and a list of any claims I no you say you have not had any but it will need to be in writing. I think you will need to ring them direct as I don't think you can get a quote online for short term policies. I don't really know other online insurance companies. Check out the smat pages for No if you need them. http://www.smartpages.com/directory/advanced.jhtml

I hope this will help.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:31 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

The $1300 was with one of the smaller companies. I've just checked again. It seems it's cheaper to book from UK, but they'll only qoute 28 days on net. Yes car hire is �600 for a full size.
I looked into long-term car hire two years ago in some detail.

You can't arrange any of this on the net, or with a standard call center. However, all the major car hire companies have a number you can call for mini-lease/long-term hire purposes.

I don't remember what we were quoted, but I do remember that it was <50% of the equivalent standard hire fee, including LDW and all insurance thrown in.

Call the US office of one of the big companies - I talked withe Hertz and Avis, I think (don't bother with the UK - they claim never to have heard of any rental over 28 days).

Sorry I can't give specifics - it was all too long ago!