Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary insurance - moving to USA and small gap until insurance starts

Temporary insurance - moving to USA and small gap until insurance starts

Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:18 am
Just Joined

rachel.m.hassall86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary insurance - moving to USA and small gap until insurance starts

Hi all,

I will be moving to the USA in a few weeks and I will be in a position where I am without medical insurance for a short period of time (about 2.5wks as my company's medical insurance kicks in at the first of the month and I just miss this).

I was thinking I could get travel insurance but as I'm relocating I do not think I actually qualify.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Rachel
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary insurance - moving to USA and small gap until insurance starts

Agree with your statement - travel insurance will not apply.

There is no such thing as gap insurance, you will most likely have just be careful for those couple of weeks.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary insurance - moving to USA and small gap until insurance starts

Originally Posted by civilservant
Agree with your statement - travel insurance will not apply.

There is no such thing as gap insurance, you will most likely have just be careful for those couple of weeks.
Another thread within the past couple of weeks reported a company providing interim insurance for new immigrants. That said, I think "winging it" for a couple of weeks is likely the best solution. In the event of a vehicle accident with injuries it is normal for the vehicle insurers to pick up any medical tab in the absence of medical insurance.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

We found that our private health insurance policies in Ireland (where we were living prior to moving to the US) would cover us for 'medical emergencies' for a limited period in the US - so if you have an existing insurer in the UK, it might be worth checking it out with them. It was only a week between us arriving and starting work (and therefore getting full medical insurance coverage) - so we were happy to take the risk of anything else happening in the intervening period (thankfully it didn't).
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

This happened to us. Are you transferring from the same employer? If so then ask them to make some temporary provision for you. We were coming from Denmark, not the UK, but my husband's office in Copenhagen was able to arrange a temporary policy for us. I really would not take the risk of having nothing, even for just a couple of weeks. If you were to have an accident and had to go to hospital you could potentially end up thousands of dollars in debt by the time you paid your medical bills.

If they are relocating you, the company should really deal with this.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

We used Inbound Immigrant Insurance through Seven Corners for a few months until we were able to get permanent insurance. I think the maximum coverage is $130,000 but it is better than nothing and the cost was a couple hundred a month for 2 adults and 1 child.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 11:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From the OP's past posts, she is a USC relocating back to the USA, starting a new job (not transferring with a current company). Her husband is a UKC and is getting an Immigrant Visa, so he's not transferring with his job, either.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2015, 2:50 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

It's going back 10+ years, but we moved here at very short notice when wife was 6 months pregnant. We couldn't get a U.S. insurer to take her on till after the birth, so we amended our BUPA international policy to include US coverage. It was definitely not cheap (4 figures a month, even then), but it bought the peace of mind that we wouldn't be bankrupted by any complications. Needless to say, we dropped it as soon as the baby was born, and took a regular US policy at a fraction of the cost. Don't know what BUPA, PPP and the like are charging for US coverage these days, but it may be an option to explore for a couple of weeks peace of mind, albeit an expensive one..
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Several years ago now, but when we moved we obtained short term Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage on a month by month basis.