Temporary Health Insurance in NJ

Temporary Health Insurance in NJ

Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

cassia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Health Insurance in NJ

Hi all

I hope you are having a good Monday.

I have secured a job in Short Hills, NJ starting 23rd May. (v excited) My healthcare doesn't kick in until 30 days after I start. I am flying out from Scotland on 15th May and need coverage from then. I have been through numerous threads on the forum to try and find temporary cover but the recommended insurers do not offer temporary health insurance in NJ. It appears to be a statewide issue. I also asked my employer if I could pay to be put into the employer care earlier and she said this wasn't a possibility.

Has anyone encountered similar issues trying to get short term health insurance in NJ? Is there a way round it?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

samjwood will become famous soon enoughsamjwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Temporary Health Insurance in NJ

Hi

We were in the same situation, we moved from Uk to NJ (Cedar Knolls) on March 28th. My husbands health insurance provided by his company doesn't kick in until 30 either...

We went for a 30 days cover with World nomads (google it, my hubby did it I don't have the specifics) and sorted it out before we left the UK. I think for the 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child) it was about £280. I don't know whether this is cheap or expensive but we did it last minute so just went with them as some other insurers wouldn't insure for 30 days.

Hope this helps?

Sam

Oops...Sorry it was £230.

Last edited by samjwood; Apr 18th 2011 at 3:58 pm. Reason: Changed amount
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by samjwood View Post
Hi

We were in the same situation, we moved from Uk to NJ (Cedar Knolls) on March 28th. My husbands health insurance provided by his company doesn't kick in until 30 either...

We went for a 30 days cover with World nomads (google it, my hubby did it I don't have the specifics) and sorted it out before we left the UK. I think for the 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child) it was about £280. I don't know whether this is cheap or expensive but we did it last minute so just went with them as some other insurers wouldn't insure for 30 days.

Hope this helps?

Sam

Oops...Sorry it was £230.
Thanks Sam - I will have a look!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by cassia View Post
Hi all

I hope you are having a good Monday.

I have secured a job in Short Hills, NJ starting 23rd May. (v excited) My healthcare doesn't kick in until 30 days after I start. I am flying out from Scotland on 15th May and need coverage from then. I have been through numerous threads on the forum to try and find temporary cover but the recommended insurers do not offer temporary health insurance in NJ. It appears to be a statewide issue. I also asked my employer if I could pay to be put into the employer care earlier and she said this wasn't a possibility.

Has anyone encountered similar issues trying to get short term health insurance in NJ? Is there a way round it?

Many thanks in advance.
Hi there.

I just moved to Summit last month and have to wait until I am married to my fiancée before I can get added to the healthcare we have for the family. I was fortunate enough to have cover for up to 90 days oversea's provided to me by my Natwest Bank account. If you have a rewards bank account in the UK you might want to look into it.

Give me a yell when you guys hit Short Hills, if you need any help locating things and getting settled I would be more than happy to help. I lived in the Summit area for 8 years before returning to the UK for a few so know the area inside out.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Temporary Health Insurance in NJ

Originally Posted by njmackem View Post
Hi there.

Give me a yell when you guys hit Short Hills, if you need any help locating things and getting settled I would be more than happy to help. I lived in the Summit area for 8 years before returning to the UK for a few so know the area inside out.
Same here - I've lived in Short Hills for almost 11 years (but I'm definitely not posh LOL! )
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Hey all

Thanks for your responses! I was just wondering if it was travel insurance as opposed to health insurance that you purchased/received? Will this actually work? I got the impression from reading the forum that as a returning citizen, I would be deemed resident again on my arrival back and it would essentially invalidate any travel policy.

On an unrelated note, I am looking at summit hills or short hill terraces to rent a flat. Short hills terraces is right behind my work. Any inside goss on either of these?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Hey all

Thanks for your responses! I was just wondering if it was travel insurance as opposed to health insurance that you purchased/received? Will this actually work? I got the impression from reading the forum that as a returning citizen, I would be deemed resident again on my arrival back and it would essentially invalidate any travel policy.

On an unrelated note, I am looking at summit hills or short hill terraces to rent a flat. Short hills terraces is right behind my work. Any inside goss on either of these?

Thanks again!
The Short Hill Terrace is a more central location with one of the entrances on Morris Avenue which puts you literally seconds from Rte 24 and it is a lovely area as well. I looked at one of their places back in 2006 for myself but went with another option in the end.

On the Summit Hills option, I remember this being a great complex and I had a friend who lived there. Its a little more secluded and walking to everything although the info shows its fairly close driving would be the only viable option.

Of the two I would personally go for the Short Hill Terraces as your best option as you have more around you, but if seclusion is what you like then Summit Hills (and its FiOS service) is ideal.

On a side note the Verizon FiOS services for Phone/TV/Internet is the only real option as its miles ahead of Comcast and Directv/Dish
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by njmackem View Post
The Short Hill Terrace is a more central location with one of the entrances on Morris Avenue which puts you literally seconds from Rte 24 and it is a lovely area as well. I looked at one of their places back in 2006 for myself but went with another option in the end.

On the Summit Hills option, I remember this being a great complex and I had a friend who lived there. Its a little more secluded and walking to everything although the info shows its fairly close driving would be the only viable option.

Of the two I would personally go for the Short Hill Terraces as your best option as you have more around you, but if seclusion is what you like then Summit Hills (and its FiOS service) is ideal.

On a side note the Verizon FiOS services for Phone/TV/Internet is the only real option as its miles ahead of Comcast and Directv/Dish
Hey njmackem,

Thank for the thorough description. I am going to visit both when I get there but Short Hill Terraces is winning at the moment as it is right behind my offices!

I checked out verizon Fios and they aredoing a deal for new customers. It's always good to get a recommendation for services!

Cant wait now - hard to believe I will be back in 19 days after 12.5 years abroad!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Hey njmackem,

Thank for the thorough description. I am going to visit both when I get there but Short Hill Terraces is winning at the moment as it is right behind my offices!

I checked out verizon Fios and they aredoing a deal for new customers. It's always good to get a recommendation for services!

Cant wait now - hard to believe I will be back in 19 days after 12.5 years abroad!
I know how much the anticipation must be killing you, I was only back in the UK for 3 years but my last month went by so quickly. Cannot believe I have been back in Summit for a month now...