Reload this Page >

Temporary health insurance?

Wikiposts

Temporary health insurance?

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

carmen blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary health insurance?

I'm a US citizen (and so are our two children) but my husband is not - we're currently in the UK waiting for his green card. We're hoping to move to the US later this year or early next. Does anyone have any advice on getting health insurance to cover us for the first few months there? We just need something temporary because of our work situation (ie we'll be setting up business in the US and will probably look into getting a different health insurance at that time). But I'm not sure where to start looking, so any advice is much appreciated.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary health insurance?

All insurance is temporary. And expensive.

Also State dependent.

Setting up a business may be helpful with pre existing conditions and tax.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Look on 'ehealthinsurance.com' for a start.

This site will give you some idea as to what 'temporary cover' is and what it can cost.

I would be very worried about coming to the US with children for even a few months without health insurance so you need to put something in place as soon as you get here.

Bear in mind that, until 2014, insurance companies can still turn you down for individual cover because of pre-conditions.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I certainly wouldn't go to the States without organising it first. I was hoping our travel insurance might cover us for a short period but understandably they won't.

Any ideas if any of the companies would want to see our UK medical records???
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Bear in mind that, until 2014, insurance companies can still turn you down for individual cover because of pre-conditions.
From this week, they can no longer turn children with pre-existing conditions down, but I am not sure what happens if parent is turned down for such a condition.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

That's fantastic. Thankfully we're all healthy, but I'm still going to miss the good old NHS!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carmen blue
That's fantastic. Thankfully we're all healthy, but I'm still going to miss the good old NHS!
Not so fantastic, you have to pay extra for all those who they can no longer turn down.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:11 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

ehealthinsurance should be your first step, but it's going to require some things like an address and an SSN (sometimes) that might make it tricky to set up from abroad.

My advice would be to get some travel insurance to cover the first month or so. Won't be the best option if you are diagnosed with cancer in those first few weeks but should provide cover if you are hit by a luggage truck on the way out of the airport.

Then scour e-healthinsurance. Is it possible your company would be set up quickly? Maybe shop as a company rather than an individual so that you can compare options.

Highly state-dependent and with varying terms that affect the cost. If you have forgotten some of the basics since you last purchased US insurance check out the wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, penguinsix. My children and I have SSNs and we'll have an address, so I'll definitely try to set something decent up from here. Last time I lived in the States was 14 years ago when I was still under my parents' plan, so that Wiki was great. Thanks again - I appreciate that.