Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Car Insurance in UK for British Citizen living in the USA

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
They're wrong.

Whoever you spoke to at the DVLA, doesn't know their own rules. If you aren't resident in the UK, your UK license is not valid. End of.

If an insurance company states they will insure you on the basis of a UK license while living abroad, get the specifics in writing, so that you can sue them when they refuse to pay out after an accident.

Unfortunately, people who work for these organisations don't know their own rules and regulations quite often, so you need to take extra steps to cover yourself.

I'll try and find the link you need later to the page on the DVLA website that tells you this in black and white.
Agreed. You should not depend on what someone says on the end of the phone...you need it in writing from the DVLA and the insurance company. The DVLA being the most important one IMO.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:59 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjp2011
I do not have a US license, I do have a UK license and I am a British Citizen, but live in the US. They will underwrite this situation and I am permitted to drive and am fully insured on the car in the UK.
Citizenship is irrelevant. Being an expat is also irrelevant to the insurance company.

I thought just about every UK insurance company would give temporary cover on a policy for another named driver - certainly done it with the AA before when I wanted to borrow other people's cars and it was no big deal.

Do yourself a favour and get a US license.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Citizenship is irrelevant. Being an expat is also irrelevant to the insurance company.

I thought just about every UK insurance company would give temporary cover on a policy for another named driver - certainly done it with the AA before when I wanted to borrow other people's cars and it was no big deal.

Do yourself a favour and get a US license.
I agree as far as the insurance company is concerned citizenship and in some case residency is irrelevant. What is relevant is residency as far as the DVLA is concerned...without it you're not driving with a valid UK license...therefore the insurance is void. Most (if not all) UK insurance policies stipulate that the driver has a valid license...then obtain the same from the insurance company.

I may be wrong but a non UK resident using a UK driving license whilst driving in UK should obtain the validity in writing from the DVLA...then the same from the insurance company.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 14th 2010 at 3:19 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They're wrong.

Whoever you spoke to at the DVLA, doesn't know their own rules. If you aren't resident in the UK, your UK license is not valid. End of.

If an insurance company states they will insure you on the basis of a UK license while living abroad, get the specifics in writing, so that you can sue them when they refuse to pay out after an accident.

Unfortunately, people who work for these organisations don't know their own rules and regulations quite often, so you need to take extra steps to cover yourself.

I'll try and find the link you need later to the page on the DVLA website that tells you this in black and white.
I know you have to be have a UK address to renew.

Bearing in mind that there must be a million and one definitions of residency I would be interested to see this one.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

So why do many of us use our UK DL when we go back to Blighty for a vacation, surely its the same scenerio not a resident of the UK, and the car hire folk know that from the get go, but still insure us!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
So why do many of us use our UK DL when we go back to Blighty for a vacation, surely its the same scenerio not a resident of the UK, and the car hire folk know that from the get go, but still insure us!
Probably because the clerk at the rental company doesn't consider the differences between residency and citizenship.
You present a UK license with a UK address on it. What are they going to do?

I have used my CA license when renting in the UK on visits.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

I use my US one for Car Hire, easier.

I had a look on the DVLA site and could find nothing.

The RTA requirements and Insurance are a bit different to that implied above. As it bores me just thinking about it, I am not going to bore others.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:07 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Probably because the clerk at the rental company doesn't consider the differences between residency and citizenship.
You present a UK license with a UK address on it. What are they going to do?

I have used my CA license when renting in the UK on visits.
I have used both I know when I offered Enterprise the option they took the British DL.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

sjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nicesjp2011 is just really nice

They're wrong.

I am impressed with your diligence, thank you! Yes I have all this in writing from the insurance company and the DVLA. I would be happy to pass on the website address you mention to the DVLA to verify the information. Do post when you have moment.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sjp2011
I am impressed with your diligence, thank you! Yes I have all this in writing from the insurance company and the DVLA. I would be happy to pass on the website address you mention to the DVLA to verify the information. Do post when you have moment.
It would be a great help if you could cut and paste the written confirmation from the DVLA...it would help when this question arises again. Thanks.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:32 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Because when you hand them your UK licence thats their part done? Also what do they care as long they make the commission on the sale?
As far as I'm aware, the UK insurance companies still don't have access to the USCIS list of US permanent residents either, so assuming you never admit to not living in the US and you have a UK licence with a UK address...
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid

Because when you hand them your UK licence thats their part done? Also what do they care as long they make the commission on the sale?
As far as I'm aware, the UK insurance companies still don't have access to the USCIS list of US permanent residents either, so assuming you never admit to not living in the US and you have a UK licence with a UK address...
It is easier with a US license as they do not have to check your record.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:12 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The car hire folk aren't going to kill themselves checking the information that you give them. They're going to type it all into the computer, hand you the keys and then turn to the next customer. If you have a crunch and the insurance company wants to get nasty - that's really not their problem. You'd be in a weak position if you every found yourself relying on saying "ooh, the policy must be valid because Scott at Glasgow Airport gave me the keys to the car" to the insurance co.

Although, actually, for all the frothing about hypotheticals here, I wonder whether a) in practice this actually comes up much and b) if you do actually have a valid US licence it's possible for the insurance company to claim the person wasn't licensed even when that one wasn't necessarily presented at the desk.

Why use an old UK licence when you're in the UK anyway (assuming you have a US licence)?

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Aug 15th 2010 at 1:17 am.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid

Oh no I am always upfront and tell them the truth incase there was an accident I don't fudge it in any way