Reload this Page >

Temporary Accommodation Help

Temporary Accommodation Help

Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:24 am
Just Joined

XpltvDeleted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Accommodation Help

Good morning all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice re: finding accommodation.

Last week, after 6 long months, I was granted my L1-B visa.

Delight has now turned to stress, as I am trying to let out my house and sell my car, at the same time as trying to find somewhere to stay in NYC.

My plan is to find a place from September 20th - October 31st. This will not only give me time to get to know the city and plan where I'd like to live, but it also allows time for a colleague of mine to find out the result of his visa application; with the idea that we can apartment share when he moves here; saving a huge amount of money!

The thing is - finding a place when you live in another country is pretty intimidating, particularly as I have heard that 7 out of 10 adverts are scams.

What is the general rule of thumb here. I don't have anyone who can assist me IN NYC, so I'm working 100% remotely. What would you recommend?

If I did decide to risk it, how would you recommend I send a security deposit?

Any advice on moving or finding temporary dependable accomodation would be *hugely* appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Accommodation Help

Absolutely no security deposit until keys in hand AND you have been inside the place.

Find a "corporate apartment" for the first week you arrive. That should be the term of art you search for on various websites. Barring that consider a cheap hotel out in New Jersey or Long Island while you work on your house hunting.

Another option is Airbnb.com, where you can rent a room or an apartment like it was a hotel. There is a third party (airbnb) that handles the money so it has some scam protection.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Much depends on your budget.

You can search for "temporary accommodation" or "short term rentals" in New York City.

You could also try:
http://www.airbnb.com
http://www.vrbo.com
http://www.vacationrentals.com
http://www.homeaway.com/
http://www.craigslist.org
http://newyork.ebayclassifieds.com/
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Hi,

What part of NY are you looking to stay in? I know a few rentals in the Westchester area but not sure if that is suitable for you or not

Cx
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
Absolutely no security deposit until keys in hand AND you have been inside the place.

Find a "corporate apartment" for the first week you arrive. That should be the term of art you search for on various websites. Barring that consider a cheap hotel out in New Jersey or Long Island while you work on your house hunting.
Seconded on all counts -- do NOT rent in NYC without actually having seen the place, especially as it appears that you are unfamiliar with the neighborhoods. Take some long-term accommodation as penguinsix suggests, get to know the city, and see what you are going to get for your money. As you will be on an L visa, you might want to enquire whether your company's HR dept works with a "relo" person who can help you.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Seconded on all counts -- do NOT rent in NYC without actually having seen the place, especially as it appears that you are unfamiliar with the neighborhoods. Take some long-term accommodation as penguinsix suggests, get to know the city, and see what you are going to get for your money. As you will be on an L visa, you might want to enquire whether your company's HR dept works with a "relo" person who can help you.
A company relocation expert is a great idea! A lot of them only know of/suggest NY City Centre though and not any of the external areas. So if you are looking to be a bit out of the city you need to do a bit of research yourself.

Cx
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

padmapper is a great tool to use and craigslist to see about sublets, but the problem with the time of year will be college students taking up a lot of short term type places.

You pay deposit when you sign the lease and get the keys.

As you'll have no credit history, expect potentially a higher deposit, first/last plus 1-3 months worth as deposit.

Really should have got your employer to stump for that as part of relocation package as well as the use of a realtor to help you find a place because a realtor fee can be anything from 1-3 months rent in a finders fee and depending on the rental market, that's to the landlords realtor even if you didn't use one yourself.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

I used this company: http://www.oakwood.com/

Had it all setup before I came out and was no problem (got the deposit back without any issues). They appear to have some properties in NY so worth a look.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:58 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

I stayed in an AKA for 2 weeks. It was quite nice, but all organized by our company people
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

britishtwilight is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try to arrive early, get a motel in north Jersey and look for something more permanent - nothing like seeing something up close rather than depending on others. If you want help with locations in north Jersey, ask - or pm me.