Reload this Page >

temporarily moving and renting in US

temporarily moving and renting in US

Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

ajclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default temporarily moving and renting in US

Okay, so I'm new to all of this, and found this forum after extensive googling

A little info before we begin. My plan, as it stands is to join the Navy next year. I'm 24 now, and am a little disillusioned with the way my life has turned out at the moment. Everything seems to have reached an impasse, and joining the Navy (I feel) would be a great new start for me.

My current job only requires an internet connection to net me a full time wage, and while I no longer like this job, surely it does offer me the opportunity to work wherever the hell I like, yes? They do what I do over in Gibraltar, but I've so far been unsuccessful with job applications there.
So, I was thinking of doing the whole, pack a bag of essentials, and get on a plane somewhere. A little more googling tells me that studio apartments are damn affordable, and so long as I have the rent money, landlords don't really require anything else from me?

I'm posting this in the US section because that seems the most exciting, but the truth is I don't mind where it is. Just so long as it's a bit of an adventure, and can see some cool stuff and, of course, get with those foreign ladies

Am I being stupid here? Or is this at all possible. I just want to do something exciting Any advice would be greatly appreciated, surely people do this all the time?

Oh, and while this is my first post I've done a little reading on here, seems like a friendly enough place! Hi Guys!

P.S I haven't proof read this post (as I'm working now, heheh) so can only apologise for awful grammatical mistakes
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: temporarily moving and renting in US

Originally Posted by ajclark
Okay, so I'm new to all of this, and found this forum after extensive googling

A little info before we begin. My plan, as it stands is to join the Navy next year. I'm 24 now, and am a little disillusioned with the way my life has turned out at the moment. Everything seems to have reached an impasse, and joining the Navy (I feel) would be a great new start for me.

My current job only requires an internet connection to net me a full time wage, and while I no longer like this job, surely it does offer me the opportunity to work wherever the hell I like, yes? They do what I do over in Gibraltar, but I've so far been unsuccessful with job applications there.
So, I was thinking of doing the whole, pack a bag of essentials, and get on a plane somewhere. A little more googling tells me that studio apartments are damn affordable, and so long as I have the rent money, landlords don't really require anything else from me?

I'm posting this in the US section because that seems the most exciting, but the truth is I don't mind where it is. Just so long as it's a bit of an adventure, and can see some cool stuff and, of course, get with those foreign ladies

Am I being stupid here? Or is this at all possible. I just want to do something exciting Any advice would be greatly appreciated, surely people do this all the time?

Oh, and while this is my first post I've done a little reading on here, seems like a friendly enough place! Hi Guys!

P.S I haven't proof read this post (as I'm working now, heheh) so can only apologise for awful grammatical mistakes
I would not say you are being stupid, we all dream of living somewhere else that is not Home. However im afraid from what you have written, the US is not the place for you. You will not qualify for a visa only ESTA (which is the visa waiver), of which you can not work. Companies will not invest thousands on sponsoring you only to see you vanish a year later to go in the forces, so pretty much tourist visa is all you can hope for.

If you only need an internet connection, the whole of Europe is yours for the taking, and there are some great places out there. I dont understand why you were not able to go to Gibraltar if that is where you wanted to be? You applied but unsuccessful, however you have a job that you confess can take you anywhere? Go to Gibraltar and enjoy yourself.

Good Luck and have fun

Out of interest, what is it you do?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Oh, I wasn't depending on the US only, I know it's extremely difficult to go there (though I confess I haven't read enough into this to know why).

I just had to pick a section from the many to choose from on the forum

My real question is is it viable to just pack a bag, and with my wage rent somewhere in a different country for a few months? I don't exactly want to backpack around a place, more live there for a while, maybe move on, maybe come back home.
Am I being immature to think I can just decide on a country, eeny meeny miny mo style, and go there?

I've just read in another section that Malaysia isn't a difficult place to go to? I mean none can be easy, but some must be easier than others. I know my embarrassing lack of knowledge on this topic is evident, but the thought has excited me for so long to go somewhere (not as a holiday) else and have a little adventure.

I suppose I could go to Gibraltar, though I've heard accommodation can be expensive? I work in online gaming (online bingo, specifically) and was after a customer service/support based role there.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about Ibiza?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajclark
Oh, I wasn't depending on the US only, I know it's extremely difficult to go there (though I confess I haven't read enough into this to know why).

I just had to pick a section from the many to choose from on the forum

My real question is is it viable to just pack a bag, and with my wage rent somewhere in a different country for a few months? I don't exactly want to backpack around a place, more live there for a while, maybe move on, maybe come back home.
Am I being immature to think I can just decide on a country, eeny meeny miny mo style, and go there?

I've just read in another section that Malaysia isn't a difficult place to go to? I mean none can be easy, but some must be easier than others. I know my embarrassing lack of knowledge on this topic is evident, but the thought has excited me for so long to go somewhere (not as a holiday) else and have a little adventure.

I suppose I could go to Gibraltar, though I've heard accommodation can be expensive? I work in online gaming (online bingo, specifically) and was after a customer service/support based role there.
It's a little bit naeive to think you can just pick any country at random to go there for a year to live and work. But that's OK, because that's why you're asking questions about it...to learn whether it's possible or not.

With the USA, it's not. You can't work at all while physically inside the USA, unless you have the proper visa. Perhaps other countries allow that (especially EU countries), I don't really know.

One thing to keep in mind is your tax situation as well. Earning income in another country and living there for a year could put you into having to file a tax return and pay relevent taxes in that country (unless there's a tax treaty between UK and whatever country you choose).

Another thing to think about is health care. Even if you were able to come to the USA to work, you'd need health insurance, which can be very very expensive for a self-employed person. I don't know how health insurance or health care works in other countries, but it's also something to keep in mind when researching.

Good luck!
Rene
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know how health insurance or health care works in other countries, but it's also something to keep in mind when researching.
In many countries its a case of going to see a doctor when you get ill rather than a bankruptcy attorney.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

South America, South Africa, the rest of the EU...plenty of opportunities to check out...
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't on line gambling illegal in the US?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

If you fancy experiencing something new, and you're not commited to the Navy, stick with the gambling\gaming sector for a while, once you have a bit of experience, there are lots of jobs available in Gibraltar, Malta and some Caribbean places, like the Caymans, Bermuda etc..

You'll find a move somewhere easier with the support of a sponsoring employer, than just randomly upping sticks yourself.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

I have been doing for 3 years I've grown exasperated applying for the jobs abroad and hearing nothing back. I don't mean to sound too whiny haha, I would have thoguth there's enough qualifications and experience on there but hey ho. If I'd only gotten some feedback from those employers...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Keep working at it.

Customer support may not be the best route to do it, so work on developing other skills too. You have the industry knowledge, so look at what else you would need to be desireable. For example as a trader for an exchange, a book compiler, a web developer for online gaming etc...

If you can match the appropriate technical skill with the industry knowledge you have, you will have plenty of potential for working around the world. I no longer work in the gambling\gaming industry, but plenty of my ex-colleagues now have jobs in all sorts of locations around the world.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

and renting a place in the US is not always so easy, you need 2 or 3 month's rent (1st, last, and security deposit), some will ask for credit history...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking most countries will require a work visa even if you 'work on the Internet.'. Where you are physically located, not where the job is contracted or where you get paid is where you need to have work permission with a few exceptions. You'll encounter this in many countries if not most.