Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Temp med insurance?

Temp med insurance?

Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temp med insurance?

Hey All!

Moving to the states (New York) in about 4 weeks now and amoungst everything I'm trying to remember is insurance. As I'm going in on a K1 etc I'm gonna need some insurance for a few months while my adjustment occurs and I get a job.

My annual travel policy only covers me for 31 days so I'm thinking I'd need about 5 months ish.

Does anyone know any good Stateside insurance companies that wouldn't rip me off for being new in the States or a UK company that could be recommended?

I'm all healthy etc but sods law if I don't get it i'll be run over by a Hum V

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Temp med insurance?

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Hey All!

Moving to the states (New York) in about 4 weeks now and amoungst everything I'm trying to remember is insurance. As I'm going in on a K1 etc I'm gonna need some insurance for a few months while my adjustment occurs and I get a job.

My annual travel policy only covers me for 31 days so I'm thinking I'd need about 5 months ish.

Does anyone know any good Stateside insurance companies that wouldn't rip me off for being new in the States or a UK company that could be recommended?

Thanks in advance!
No. They all rip you off regardless of who you are.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:09 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Hey All!

Thanks in advance!
I went without when I first got here. Unless you come down with a sudden illness you could even fly back home for treatment. I was prepared to do that if anything happened provided that I could still walk onto the plane.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It covers return trips up to 31 days, so actually it does not.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:18 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It covers return trips up to 31 days, so actually it does not.
Yep - was thinking that myself
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so general consensus is to sod it and it the worst comes to the worst hop on a plane.. sounds like a plan batman :-)

thanks
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:17 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so general consensus is to sod it and it the worst comes to the worst hop on a plane.. sounds like a plan batman :-)

thanks
A friend of mine did it that way; then two weeks before the wedding he was washing up and a glass broke and cut his wrist - he didn't have the option to get on a plane with that one so ended up with a huge bill including the cost of an ambulance because he was at home on his own at the time. It's a risk, but you've got to be financially prepared to take on the unexpected in case something comes up - if you can afford that then it's definitely worth saying "sod it".
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

thanks
Well that is what I ended up doing, then I got added on to the Wife's and now I have my own, for what it is worth.

But not what I would recommend.

You could buy a return instead of a single so you have a plane ticket to hand. Probably cost the same so treat it as low cost insurance!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Think I'll get some quotes and see what the damage is...

Anyone know any companies that would do a short term policy?

cheers
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Think I'll get some quotes and see what the damage is...

Anyone know any companies that would do a short term policy?

cheers
Google is your friend
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

what about the missus? and would COBRA be any help? probably not and you'll have to give them an arm and a leg if you could get it anyway...
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
what about the missus? and would COBRA be any help? probably not and you'll have to give them an arm and a leg if you could get it anyway...
COBRA not relevant to a K1.

There are people who advertise on this site. I have no personal experiance of any of them.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:12 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey All!

Thanks in advance!
The one problem i found is that i could not get any health ins (or more correctly on my hubby's) until i had a social security number. I don't know if this is the case for all insurance companies, my lawyer said a TIN number could be acceptable, depending on the company. I ended up just waiting until i got my ss#. Im in good health so wasn't a huge issue for us, but as soon as i could get on i did.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
The one problem i found is that i could not get any health ins (or more correctly on my hubby's) until i had a social security number. I don't know if this is the case for all insurance companies, my lawyer said a TIN number could be acceptable, depending on the company. I ended up just waiting until i got my ss#. Im in good health so wasn't a huge issue for us, but as soon as i could get on i did.
SSN shouldn't be a problem in getting insurance, there just making a bigger deal of it, problem usually comes from enrolement periods and not being able to sign up straight away, or having to have worked there for x amount of time before adding spouses that weren't married at the time etc...it's all fun ain't it...

I was without insurance for a year, well I had one way emergency insurance I got from the UK which cost an arm and a leg...just depends on how much of a gamble you want to take, and I live in a snowy/icey state, so don't want to risk to much *l*
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

ooh the joys of insurance

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find UK side

thanks for all the suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.