Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by Nutek
..... I do too, but that's cos my mum beat it into me.
Me too. Mrs P and I are working on little Miss P!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Childish, I know .. but I always say "please" and "thank you" at every single conceivable opportunity, the poor waitperson then has to say "you're welcome" every single time. They certainly earn their tip!!
Have you noticed if you say "Thank you very much", you nearly always get a "You're welcome very much" back?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:26 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Me too. Mrs P and I are working on little Miss P!
Us too. Ours has Thank You down but Please seems a lot harder for some reason...
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sucks to be you guys. I order water all the time, never any trouble.

The only order that ever got ****ed up of mine was at the student bar in Belfast, when I ordered a pint of Tennent's and they thought I'd said Guinness. That's it.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

so am I hoping for two much when I expect to be left in peace to enjoy the meal we have ordered with servers coming every minute task if everything is alright?

and good point I wanted to ask, I know tipping is a big deal over there?

At what level do you tip, and is it preferred to leave it in cash or add it on to the bill when paying by card.

and if leaving it as cash do you tell them that when pressing NO on the machine when it ask for amount of tip...

some pointers would be great

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Yup!

I have real difficulty ordering diet drinks. I'm back to drinking regular, I've given up. No one ever seems to be able to understand me.

For the longest time I also had difficulty ordering Dr Pepper. They'd always think I would say Coke or Sprite (seriously?! WTF?!) My wife found it hilarious. Me, not so much. I just wanted my Dr Pepper.
The permutations are endless:

Last night:
Me: "Does the tea come with Lemon?"
Waitress: "With lemonade?" (Looks confused)
Me: (also looks confused!) .... "No, with L-E-M-O-N!"

FFS!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
so am I hoping for two much when I expect to be left in peace to enjoy the meal we have ordered with servers coming every minute task if everything is alright?

At what level do you tip, and is it preferred to leave it in cash or add it on to the bill when paying by card.

and if leaving it as cash do you tell them that when pressing NO on the machine when it ask for amount of tip...

Thanks
Aww yeah! Tipping... I love this thread.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:30 pm

so am I hoping for too much when I expect to be left in peace to enjoy the meal ....

....and good point I wanted to ask, I know tipping is a big deal over there?

Thanks
Opinions vary slightly on tipping, but most agree that 15% is base/ standard for good, competent service. Less is appropriate only for an issue that can be blamed on the waiter. Less than 10% may be construed as an insult. For exemplary service, going "above and beyond" the tip should trend upwards towards 20%, above that is rarely justified OR expected.

In most restaurants the credit receipt will be left with you on the table to fill in an amount for the tip (or cross through if you are leaving cash), and sign, .... Note the waiter will not come back and collect the receipt, just take your copy, and the till receipt if you want it, and leave the restaurant. .... We have no "chip and pin" here.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2013 at 6:40 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:34 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Thanks
What's 'CASH'?!

I never have any on me anymore. I may have a few dollar bills and bots of change in my car for valet tips etc but other than that I have found I just don't do cash here. I pay for everything on card. Even a 50c bar of chocolate (not that you can buy a bar of choc for 50c anymore and it's debatable if you'd even want to over here but it was just an example)
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Well, I know in Canada and the UK you get to enter that yourself in the mobile machine. We don't have those here, they run the card and you enter the tip in handwriting on a little paper billydoo just as if we were still in the 1970s, so if no tip all you have to do is enter the original total in the grand total line..

Me, I used to tip fifteen percent but now I pretty much do twenty percent ..
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Aww yeah! Tipping... I love this thread.
Quick, run for cover, guess who's headed this way?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2013 at 7:53 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Quick, run for cover, guess who's headed this way?
I'm assuming dfrb will be furnishing a house soon, so will be in the market for a washing machine and an electric kettle.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You need to have a read of the tipping thread. That was a rather epic war zone
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming dfrb will be furnishing a house soon, so will be in the market for a washing machine.
Front loader, obviously.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:47 pm

I'm assuming dfrb will be furnishing a house soon, so will be in the market for a washing machine and an electric kettle.
And a recommendation for a good quality vacuum cleaner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.