Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
What do you mean, not being able to order water in restaurants? Its something we always ask for hear in england, A jug of tap water for the table so the kids can still have a drink after they have drank their juice or coke.
I take it you aren't here yet.

They will SERVE water, but getting them to understand you WANT water?

Yeah... Good luck with that.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I take it you aren't here yet.

They will SERVE water, but getting them to understand you WANT water?

Yeah... Good luck with that.
You're going to way too fancy restaurants. I go to the places here where they give everyone a glass of water as soon as they know how many are at the table ...
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It can be difficult to get people to understand English...it's all in the pronunciation.

Wadder...water
Baddery...battery
Budder...butter
Dawg...dog

Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

over on sunday for a weeks orientation, then the move in dec, jan

I might try that and see what happens...

"Can I have some water for the table please"
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Weird... it was like I was all tensed up about stuff (driving / backward dates / not being able to order water in restaurants ), without even realizing it.

What do you mean, not being able to order water in restaurants? Its something we always ask for hear in england, A jug of tap water for the table so the kids can still have a drink after they have drank their juice or coke.
It seems "water" is hard to understand over here...a few threads on it....just say "wadder"...
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It can be difficult to get people to understand English...it's all in the pronunciation.

Wadder...water
Baddery...battery
Budder...butter
Dawg...dog
Ledduce ... lettuce, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You're going to way too fancy restaurants. I go to the places here where they give everyone a glass of water as soon as they know how many are at the table ...
IME It is only the "fancy" ones that do that. .... Or are you dining at places where tea or soda is out of most customers' price range?

.... we always ask for here in England, A jug of tap water for the table so the kids can still have a drink after they have drank their juice or coke.
From New England to Florida, and west to California, I have never seen a jug of water placed on the table. By having to come back frequently to "check on the drinks", the waiter(ess) can demonstrate "good service" in the hope that he/she will get a good tip.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2013 at 6:23 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

In one shop I could not make them understand the word 'milk'.

MIIIIILLLLK?
MULK?
MILK?
MEERRRLLLK?

My American friend walked in and asked for milk and they said 'Oh! MILK!'
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's one word on a long list that I just cannot get people to understand when I try to use it.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:14 pm

over on sunday for a weeks orientation, then the move in dec, jan

I might try that and see what happens...

"Can I have some water for the table please"
Putting "please" at the end seems to make it worse.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Dawg...dog

Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's one word on a long list that I just cannot get people to understand when I try to use it.
Maybe you should just stay home, and hide in the closet if anyone visits. It would be safer for all concerned that way.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe you should just stay home, and hide in the closet if anyone visits. It would be safer for all concerned that way.
You mean like on weeknights.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Childish, I know .. but I always say "please" and "thank you" at every single conceivable opportunity, the poor waitperson then has to say "you're welcome" every single time. They certainly earn their tip!!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Childish, I know .. but I always say "please" and "thank you" at every single conceivable opportunity, the poor waitperson then has to say "you're welcome" every single time. They certainly earn their tip!!

I do too, but that's cos my mum beat it into me.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yup!

I have real difficulty ordering diet drinks. I'm back to drinking regular, I've given up. No one ever seems to be able to understand me.

For the longest time I also had difficulty ordering Dr Pepper. They'd always think I would say Coke or Sprite (seriously?! WTF?!) My wife found it hilarious. Me, not so much. I just wanted my Dr Pepper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.