tell me the positives!

Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
yes the TV is crap but

How can you say that?!!!
Have you ever watched Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland...! Those shows are amazing.....In fact TV here is one of the things I think the Americans do far better than us brits
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Wow no extended childhood where we are. It's designer labels, getting in the right clique at school, social media and sexy clothing and talk from about age 11.
Don't you mean from about 6?

Saying that, the town we're in is a lot more laid back than our last town....so it's probably the tweens
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31

How can you say that?!!!
Have you ever watched Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland...! Those shows are amazing.....In fact TV here is one of the things I think the Americans do far better than us brits
Tele shows, a lot of them are great...but TV experience here is pretty crap.

DVR and fast forward has been the best thing to hit TV over here, with the rubbish ads and the like
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Tele shows, a lot of them are great...but TV experience here is pretty crap.

DVR and fast forward has been the best thing to hit TV over here, with the rubbish ads and the like
A few standout shows in an ocean of crap.

Very little news, documentary, interesting things like that.

Even my mum, who is forever moaning about the 'repeats' on UK TV, was appalled by the poor choice (and we're paying a lot to get all the 'packages')
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob

+ 1
me and husband wont watch anything unless we can record it and fast forward the ads
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A few standout shows in an ocean of crap.

Very little news, documentary, interesting things like that.

Even my mum, who is forever moaning about the 'repeats' on UK TV, was appalled by the poor choice (and we're paying a lot to get all the 'packages')
Definitely agree with you there. Whilst i like some tv shows here, if you want variety or anything other than unpredictable. Forget it.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy US TV...costs an arm and a leg as we subscribe to all the channels. Even better now I can get my fix of UK TV programs too.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I enjoy US TV...costs an arm and a leg as we subscribe to all the channels. Even better now I can get my fix of UK TV programs too.
Broadchuch! Is meant to be fantastic. Just ordered my copy from Amazon
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Broadchuch! Is meant to be fantastic. Just ordered my copy from Amazon
It was drawn out far too long...2 hrs would have been more than enough.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here for 35 years, and I like it here. For me, in Tennessee, the positives are, short winters, long growing seasons, lots of sunshine, relaxed attitude, friendliness of the people, acceptance by the locals, lakes, and nice house on a large lot. My kids love it here, and I have no regrets. I realize some people may never be happy here or anywhere, other than their country of birth, but each to their own.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I've lived here for 35 years, and I like it here. For me, in Tennessee, the positives are, short winters, long growing seasons, lots of sunshine, relaxed attitude, friendliness of the people, acceptance by the locals, lakes, and nice house on a large lot. My kids love it here, and I have no regrets. I realize some people may never be happy here or anywhere, other than their country of birth, but each to their own.
+1 Ditto, more or less, except I haven't been here as long as you, and I'm just over the mountains from you.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I know plenty of folks who are not happy even in their country of birth ...

One thing you mention. Lakes. While in general I prefer countryside and outdoor stuff in England, lakes are definitely a plus here. Especially when you come upon a pristine lake with a sandy beach, sunshine, dragonflies etc. a couple of hours into a hike through the woods. We had that on a walk in the Adirondacks earlier this week. We started out in the morning, cold fall day, maybe 45 degrees, so I had a fleece, jacket, wooly hat. I even wished I had gloves. By 2pm when we got to the beach on the lake, it was sunny in the seventies. I was down to shorts and a tee shirt and I waded out till it was up to my knees. Water was cold, but just what the doctor ordered after a rigorous hike!

So yes, some nice things about America for those open to experiences.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:31 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I like it here. (I came over in 1996).

I miss some stuff (still), and some things irritate me no end (lack of healthcare being first and foremost, with in-your-face religion a close second), but over all, it is a good place to live. It does still feel "foreign" though.. I don't think that will ever go away.

The people have been mostly nice to me, in an "acquaintances-not-really-friends" kind of way.

I've been lucky with work... It's not a bad life.

And, of course, Mrs N. is here.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I like it here. (I came over in 1996).

I miss some stuff (still), and some things irritate me no end (lack of healthcare being first and foremost, with in-your-face religion a close second), but over all, it is a good place to live. It does still feel "foreign" though.. I don't think that will ever go away.

The people have been mostly nice to me, in an "acquaintances-not-really-friends" kind of way.

I've been lucky with work... It's not a bad life.

And, of course, Mrs N. is here.
You're British, you can't be 'foreign', remember
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:37 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

TV... Some of the shows are excellent... but the delivery of them is dreadful.
Adverts...
Theme music of show...
Adverts...
5 mins of show...
Advert WITHIN the show for the next show...
Adverts...

repeat...

Couple of really annoying things...

Sometimes they show a clip of the next episode of the show you are actually watching, which gives away the point of the episode you are watching now.

Not content with all the adverts eating into the show time, they waste 30 seconds giving a preview of what is going to happen in the show after the commercial break, then after the break they show a recap of what happened before the break. Grrrrrr

We don't watch anything at all now that isn't on the DVR or from some other source (Prime etc.) I can't stand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.