Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tell me good things about you location !!!

Tell me good things about you location !!!

Old May 9th 2006, 3:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me good things about you location !!!

Originally Posted by DarrenP
OK, I'll leave the bad stuff out then

3) Tons of tech and other jobs. This is the centre of the universe for instance for my line of work (computer graphics).

5) Compared to London, SF has always felt like toytown to me. When I first got here I had this weird sense of 'where the heck is everybody?'. The city itself is under a million people, and doesn't feel too overcrowded. The great thing is, I can drive across it to see friends on other side of town in about 15 minutes.
The tech jobs mean:

1) you gotta be in tech to even afford a cupboard-sized apartment;
2) you gotta work long hours, which explains everyone disappearing;
3) if you get caught in the times when people are commuting to work or coming home, good luck getting anywhere in 15 mins.

Most of the tech work is in San Jose/Silly Valley rather than SF.
Old May 9th 2006, 4:44 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The tech jobs mean:

3) if you get caught in the times when people are commuting to work or coming home, good luck getting anywhere in 15 mins.

Connecticut ... Sticky hot in summer loads of snow and minus temps in winter.
I think weather is not an issue to set your mind where to come you really need to look into house prices, rents, taxes, cost of living,
GAS PRICES!!
Old May 9th 2006, 4:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
GAS PRICES!!
which includes heat and AC as well as petrol.
Old May 9th 2006, 7:25 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in Georgia seems to be nice and varied. We miss all the major storms, very rare on tornadoes and nice and chilly in the winter (something I like).

The humidity in the summer can be a killer but with A/C, it's not too bad.

Still miss me snow though
Old May 9th 2006, 7:32 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Indianapolis...

Well the cost of living is low, if ya like sports, theres basketball, american football and minor league baseball and hockey, closeish to Chicago, fairly decent job market, downtown is nice, but not huge. Very redneck (especially on the southside).
Old May 9th 2006, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Sooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the rough

I've been to a lot of places in the states, and the people here are down to earth and better listeners than anywhere else I've been. Mind you, there's nothing else good about it, but I think people are the most important thing about a place.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

Still miss me snow though
you can come down here and get your fair share, there's usually buckets of the stuff
Old May 9th 2006, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The tech jobs mean:

Hey, that's *my* badstuff, haha!

Yeah totally. I could even go on. But 2) is by far my biggest issue and one that's driving me home. The 101 is positively broken, so the commute is no fun either.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
Connecticut ... Sticky hot in summer loads of snow and minus temps in winter.
I think weather is not an issue to set your mind where to come you really need to look into house prices, rents, taxes, cost of living,
GAS PRICES!!
Yeah but no...

Summary of CT weather about right, but at least it's not dull. Lived in Texas before coming up to CT and having tropical temperatures got a bit old pretty quickly. Much prefer having seasons. Of course, it's all down to personal taste.

Lots of nice leafy countryside here, fantastic autumns, NYC an hour or so away...and it's reasonably cultured (for a colony ). There are many, many worse places...
Old May 9th 2006, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you can come down here and get your fair share, there's usually buckets of the stuff

Buckets! Now that's what I call an understatement.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Buckets! Now that's what I call an understatement.
aye, we just love to share, but there's never any takers
Old May 9th 2006, 9:25 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills
I'm really impressed with Nashville too.
I wouldn't say it was a very liberal city though.
What!?

OK, maybe ii should have qualified that remark by saying its a very liberal city for the south

davidson country was one of the few metro areas in the south that is staunchly democrat

there is a huge overtly gay population, not something you see in memphis, knovxille, birmingham or pretty much any other city in the south

admittedly you do have a big baptist uni here full of nutters who don't kiss before marriage etc, but i try to avoid them
Old May 9th 2006, 9:26 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooh another good thing about Seattle - no State income tax
Old May 9th 2006, 9:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

additionally to big up nashville...

Kiplingers finance decided it was the #1 'smart' city to live in in the USA

http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfin.../05/intro.html

http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfin...nashville.html
Old May 9th 2006, 9:28 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Ooooooh another good thing about Seattle - no State income tax
Same as Delaware, but I wouldn't wanna live there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.