Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tell me about OBX...

Tell me about OBX...

Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell me about OBX...

So it's January, we've been here now for little over 4 months. It's been tough at times, the learning curve steep, but we're looking forward to planning some free time.
I've always wanted to visit the Outer Banks, South Carolina. Maybe some romantic notion of staying near the beach, seeing the wild horses away from it all. However an American, I've met since being here, tells me it's not like that at all. It's full of tourists, busy and expensive.
I was hoping to visit from Pennsylvania for a week in June - us being; two adults, two kids (14 and 12) and with our two small dogs.
Does anyone have any experience of OBX that they can share with me? Top tips maybe?

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:34 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me about OBX...

Have to agree with the American. In season it's totally over-run with tourists. Out of season it's basically dead, although that could also be described as away from it all.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Outer Banks, North Carolina.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Also would have to agree with the American. Spent numerous summers north of Duck on family vacation - generally anywhere Kitty Hawk north is very commercialized and busy. Although the sandy beaches are nice, the water isn't clear and there's a lot of people.

Because there are a very limited number of roads to get to there, traffic in summer is horrendous, particularly at the weekend.

Further south (towards Hatteras) is a little quieter, but other than the National Seashore is developed. The one place I would definitely like to go back to is Ocracoake, as it's a little more remote. However, I last visited over 10 years ago, and haven't prioritized returning.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Ooops!

I mean, North Carolina of course
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.

Okay I decided to book a place on the inner banks on Currituck Sound. We're a bit further away from all the hustle and traffic on the outer banks but we'll, hopefully, get the beauty of the sunset over the water. Kitty Hawk, the closest, beach is about 30 miles away.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed on Hatteras last summer (drove from PA too actually). It was my first time there and I loved it, the beaches were pretty quiet and the beach houses are really nice too. I'd definitely like to go again.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Leila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to beholdLeila112 is a splendid one to behold

I love the Outer Banks, as a kid we used to go there quite a bit. If you want peace and tranquillity head to Duck and further North. If you want family fun, head to Kitty Hawk and Nags Head which is much more populated, if you want a little charming town.... I believe Manteo and Wanchees (sp?) will do and definitely pop by for the lost colony play if they still have it.

If you want some rugged romanticised adventure, hop the ferry to Okacroke Island. There isn't much, but it has many legends of the Spanish Galleons, pirates such as Black Beard and lost treasures.