Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tell BBCAmerica want you want to watch

Tell BBCAmerica want you want to watch

Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:11 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell BBCAmerica want you want to watch

Originally Posted by lionheart
That's illegal. How do I copy them. I have a burner but you need 2 I think?
one burner and some nice free software from the net I think...not that I've ever done it mind....I'm a good girl I am
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

You know there is a shop in Santa Monica where you can rent British TV shows and buy food. There is also a British bakery, I spent $25 on pork pie, cockles, sausage rolls etc. They make their own............. I even bought a finger of fudge for my son. Let me know if you need the addresses?

I have been to a shop there that sells baked beans abd chocs, but have not seen the bakery. Addresses would be good, thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
They also show Porridge .........
I don't remember that one...probably was sent to bed
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:15 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I have up to series 5 of Only fools.....
The good life up to series 3..
And the full Bottom..........
Men Behaving Badly....2 disc's
Allo Allo ...2 disc..
My daughter wants Dads Army......so thats next.......
I can't remember the others.......my hubbys US friends from work have them after us.........so I never have all my DVDs here........
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:20 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I just found Hitch hikers...............and The Chronicles of Narnia.....do you remember that one.?
We have Coupling but I got bored with that after Jeff left...........
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:21 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
I have been to a shop there that sells baked beans abd chocs, but have not seen the bakery. Addresses would be good, thanks.
The Tudor House - On 2nd and Santa Monica Blvd - Tearoom, bakery and imported food.
The Continental Shop - On Wilshire Blvd/17th - DVD's, food, magazines, video rentals - watch the expiration date as some of his stuff can be dodgy.
Ye Olde Kings Head pub - On Santa Monica/ 2nd - pub and a twee giftshop
Brittania Pub - Santa Monica Blvd/3rd - not really British in feel but has fish & chips, beer etc.
O'Briens pub - On Wilshire/23rd - Irish 'style' pub.

Let me know if you need further directions etc.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:24 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by krizzy
I just found Hitch hikers...............and The Chronicles of Narnia.....do you remember that one.?
We have Coupling but I got bored with that after Jeff left...........
I borrowed Chronicles of Narnia from the library after reading LW&W to the kids....who the heck cast Lucy?
they had hitchhikers on PBS...I'm not a fan but hubby enjoyed it...it looked really naff....actually after getting used to the glamour of American T.V all U.K shows look naff..like they have B grade film or something...and it's always raining on Eastenders
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

The Tudor House - On 2nd and Santa Monica Blvd - Tearoom, bakery and imported food.
The Continental Shop - On Wilshire Blvd/17th - DVD's, food, magazines, video rentals - watch the expiration date as some of his stuff can be dodgy.
Ye Olde Kings Head pub - On Santa Monica/ 2nd - pub and a twee giftshop
Brittania Pub - Santa Monica Blvd/3rd - not really British in feel but has fish & chips, beer etc.
O'Briens pub - On Wilshire/23rd - Irish 'style' pub.

Let me know if you need further directions etc.
Thanks lionheart. Will try to find. Not allowed to send you karma.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

PS lionheart you are a long time expat who came here young, any hope for middle-aged me shaking off the British cravings?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:31 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I borrowed Chronicles of Narnia from the library after reading LW&W to the kids....who the heck cast Lucy?
they had hitchhikers on PBS...I'm not a fan but hubby enjoyed it...it looked really naff....actually after getting used to the glamour of American T.V all U.K shows look naff..like they have B grade film or something...and it's always raining on Eastenders
I like the home made look of Brit TV.......we watched the New Hitch Hiker film..and though what the heck was that all about.......
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:41 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
PS lionheart you are a long time expat who came here young, any hope for middle-aged me shaking off the British cravings?
Probably not........ It depends on you though. I think you have to make a conscious effort to ' let go'. It's so subjective. I think it would help if your spouses family are American as they might involve you with their immediate family. My wife is Finnish so we never really got into a huge circle of American friends, family etc., they always seem to come and go.........
It also depends on a lot of factors - personality, social life, interests, family.
Personally I attempted to let go but my closest friends here have always been British. I've been here 18 years and I have maybe 2 or 3 American friends which I am sure is at least partially my fault?
My experience has been that once the initial repetitive friendly questions such as Where you from? How long have you been here? Do you like it? etc etc. are have been posed Americans see you as a foreigner........... which you are. Its all about positivity here no room for whats viewed as negativity, what in the UK would be sarcasm, being down to earth or even a good old moan. Just my opinion.............
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:50 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I also have ' Darling buds of May' complete boxed set after catching the tail end of it on PBS years ago. Great series........... before KZJ turned into an LA rich bitch. My DVD collection also includes;

Mr Bean
World at War - The greatest documentary known to mankind
Only fools and Horses - Series 1 - 4?
Porridge - 1 to 3
The Fast Show 1 - 3?
League of Gentlemen 1 & 2
History of Britain - excellent
Upstairs Downstairs - Complete boxed set - watched 2 episodes
Cracker 1 & 2
Rumpole of the Bailey - classic!
Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - Box set
Rising Damp - boxed set
Pheonix nights - you guessed it
I'm Alan Partridge 1 & 2
Trumpton, Camberwick Green Chigley - bought for my son
Open all hours -1 & 2
Alan Clarke - Boxed bleeding set!
The Goodies - Pure nostalgia
The Office - including the special
Some Mothers do ave em - dated
On the buses - box...........
Till Death do us part first series....................

and various British movies including Kes, The man in the white suit, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Billy Liar, Room at the top, A Kind of Loving, Goodbye Mr. Chips,Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and dozens more............
I have been here 18 years though, maybe I need to get out more???
I have a lot of stuff on DVD - if you get 4 or more DVDs from amazon.co.uk it actually works out cheaper to get them sent to the US rather than within the UK because the VAT gets taken off. I just got:

The Book Group - Series 2
Spooks - Series 3
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse
Shameless - Series 1 (had to get it because of all the beeping out on BBCAmerica)
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Probably not........ It depends on you though. I think you have to make a conscious effort to ' let go'. It's so subjective. I think it would help if your spouses family are American as they might involve you with their immediate family. My wife is Finnish so we never really got into a huge circle of American friends, family etc., they always seem to come and go.........
It also depends on a lot of factors - personality, social life, interests, family.
Personally I attempted to let go but my closest friends here have always been British. I've been here 18 years and I have maybe 2 or 3 American friends which I am sure is at least partially my fault?
My experience has been that once the initial repetitive friendly questions such as Where you from? How long have you been here? Do you like it? etc etc. are have been posed Americans see you as a foreigner........... which you are. Its all about positivity here no room for whats viewed as negativity, what in the UK would be sarcasm, being down to earth or even a good old moan. Just my opinion.............
Thanks for your thoughts. Time will tell whether I will be able to let go...or want to.

I like this site but sometimes I wonder if it makes things harder to deal with.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:51 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

"The Mighty Boosh" at an earlier time.

"The League of Gentlemen" without AM next to it.

No more re-runs of bloody Monty Python. Yes it's a great show, but watching the same ones over and over again gets very old.

"Keeping Up Apperances" and "Are You Being Served" are not the best things to come out of England.

Footballer's Wives??? Please. If I want to watch crap about white-trash pikey loving gypsies, I'll go visit my local trailer park.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:51 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

We have a lot of American friends.........and a lot of friends who are on H1Bs from the Middle East...India...China Etc....
I was a fan of UK gold in England..........so my interest in old TVshows is a long time thing.....not something I took up in the USA to remind me of home......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.