British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Telesales (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/telesales-315642/)

evoal2003 Jul 23rd 2005 7:39 pm

Telesales

Please can someone tell me how to stop the endless early morning calls that have started. 3 times this morning, the last 2 were automated machines.. :mad: . We only had the phone turned on 3 days ago.

I thought I read on here sometime ago you have to remove your phone number from a list. Please help save my sanity.

alan

Pimpbot Jul 23rd 2005 7:41 pm

Re: Telesales

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Please can someone tell me how to stop the endless early morning calls that have started. 3 times this morning, the last 2 were automated machines.. :mad: . We only had the phone turned on 3 days ago.

I thought I read on here sometime ago you have to remove your phone number from a list. Please help save my sanity.

alan

Get yourself on the do not call list.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

fatbrit Jul 23rd 2005 7:43 pm

www.donotcall.gov

evoal2003 Jul 23rd 2005 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Thanks both job done.

krizzy Jul 23rd 2005 8:32 pm

alan

I leave the phone on the chair and walk away....that keeps them happy..they can talk away for ages without knowing you have gone...... :)

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 23rd 2005 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy
I leave the phone on the chair and walk away....that keeps them happy..they can talk away for ages without knowing you have gone...... :)

The 3 year old like talking to them.

The 2 year old can say Geiko, but his time will have to await a broader vocabulary.

Eskimo Jul 23rd 2005 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy

I ask for their home number and tell them I will ring them back at... lets say 6.00pm ?

evoal2003 Jul 23rd 2005 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I ask for their home number and tell them I will ring them back at... lets say 6.00pm ?

Do they give to you?

Eskimo Jul 23rd 2005 9:07 pm

Do they give to you?

no but they go away :D - hows tricks Al ? - have you moved now ?

Bob Jul 24th 2005 12:50 am

the do not call list kicks in after 3 months, has to be updated every couple years, and companies you already have business with aren't affected by it, and need to be told in writing to sod off, like your visa card people etc...

Lynne Jul 24th 2005 12:53 am

Before being on the do not call list I used to have fun with them. You could tell they were telemarketers from caller ID and I would check the time and convert to Europe time. I would then pick up and say "Good morning, you have reached the British Embassy in Germany, how may I direct your call". After a few seconds of silence, panic mode sets in when they think they dialed overseas and they hang up.

Another fun trick is when they tell you the company they are with you make out you work for a competitor and end up trying to sell them something. It pisses them off big time.

I guess its my mean sense of humor but a new hobby of mine since I moved here is junk mail. I save all those prepaid envelopes from credit card solicitations and put coupons in them and mail them back. I feel it a job well done because (a) it keeps the mail man in a job, (b) it means the company has to hire more people in their mail room, and (c) I am recycling. :D

cindyabs Jul 24th 2005 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Bob
the do not call list kicks in after 3 months, has to be updated every couple years, and companies you already have business with aren't affected by it, and need to be told in writing to sod off, like your visa card people etc...

My husband told BOA he was considering switching banks because we started getting calls from them several times a week about their visa card etc.

rincewind Jul 24th 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne
I guess its my mean sense of humor but a new hobby of mine since I moved here is junk mail. I save all those prepaid envelopes from credit card solicitations and put coupons in them and mail them back. I feel it a job well done because (a) it keeps the mail man in a job, (b) it means the company has to hire more people in their mail room, and (c) I am recycling. :D

Now that is worth some Karma :D :D

krizzy Jul 24th 2005 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne
Before being on the do not call list I used to have fun with them. You could tell they were telemarketers from caller ID and I would check the time and convert to Europe time. I would then pick up and say "Good morning, you have reached the British Embassy in Germany, how may I direct your call". After a few seconds of silence, panic mode sets in when they think they dialed overseas and they hang up.

Another fun trick is when they tell you the company they are with you make out you work for a competitor and end up trying to sell them something. It pisses them off big time.

I send back the pre paid envelopes.........empty.......

Most of the calls now come from India....my husband I'm sorry to say made and tested the system......so just think that everytime you get a call..you are paying for my FL holiday home....and you'll feel a lot better....... :D :D :cool: