British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Telehandler Work??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/telehandler-work-926435/)

NickConklin Jul 15th 2019 10:47 am

Telehandler Work???

Hi there

English guy from Newcastle here. Will be marrying my American girl sometime in the future and hopefully moving to her hometown of Ohio, or anywhere that we fancy, really; but she’s back at her mom’s for now, so that’s where I’ll be landing.

Joined this site mainly to get advice from people on how to go about gaining employment in the construction industry; more specifically, operating telehandlers. Whenever I check American jobsites, telehandler - or any variation of that word - rarely comes up, except under “heavy machine operator,” which seems to require multiple skill sets. Suffice to say, I’m pretty confused lol. I’m also pretty sure my NPORS and CSCS tickets won’t be recognised in the U.S. too.

Anyhoo, just wanted to check in and introduce myself and make some new Brit friends in the U.S. and obviously get some advice.

All the best,
Nick

civilservant Jul 15th 2019 10:51 am

Re: Telehandler Work???

That's a JCB type thing with forks on the front right?

You're right that your qualifications are unlikely to be recognized, so probably best to start looking at what you need to do to get certified to drive one of those things in Ohio if you wish to continue doing so.

Oh and :welcome: to BE!

NickConklin Jul 15th 2019 10:57 am

Hi mate

It’s the rough terrain forklift thing, aye lol!

Cheers mate. I’m thinking true same thing tbh with you. Just wanted to shoot the shit and see what others think, or see if I could find any other construction workers out there. Main problem I’ve had up to now is finding any information on telehandlers lol. Seems as though they either don’t use them much or call them something else. My dad looked into it and found out they supposedly call them cherry pickers over there, but when he did a search our cherry pickers turned up. It’s a nightmare :banghead: :hysterical:

I’m sure I’ll work it out, mate :thumbsup: ;)

civilservant Jul 15th 2019 11:06 am

I'm not sure cherry picker is correct. That would be one with a basket at the end for the likes of electric people to work on power lines.

NickConklin Jul 15th 2019 11:16 am

I know, mate; that’s the point I’m making: he Jewgled it and it said that telehandlers are sometimes called cherry pickers in America, but they’re clearly not because when he Jegled that, all that came up were our cherry pickers — the basket things lol.

Nutmegger Jul 15th 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NickConklin (Post 12710585)
Hi mate

It’s the rough terrain forklift thing, aye lol!

C

I googled "rough terrain forklift operator ohio" and the job site Indeed came up with many jobs listed. Did you try that?

NickConklin Jul 15th 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12710637)
I googled "rough terrain forklift operator ohio" and the job site Indeed came up with many jobs listed. Did you try that?

I’m not sure if I’d tried it, mate; can’t recall. Maybe just not using the right websites. But I’ve been searching plant training companies and they describe the telehandler as a RTF, so I’ve just twigged about that before you said, aye, but cheers anyway, mate.

Out of interest, which job site you using, mate?

Cheers
Marty

Rete Jul 15th 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by NickConklin (Post 12710589)
I know, mate; that’s the point I’m making: he Jewgled [googled] it and it said that telehandlers are sometimes called cherry pickers in America, but they’re clearly not because when he Jegled [googled] that, all that came up were our cherry pickers — the basket things lol.

Hi again, Nick. May I ask that you proofread your postings before submitting. Apparently you are using a form of posting that changes words into sometime that can be taken as an insult and/or causes one to guess at what you meant to write. I've bolded the two words on this post so you can see what I mean.

Cherry picker is not what you are looking for. Assuming you are looking for employment where you use a forklift that is electronically operated hence the term telehandler.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, much of the construction work performed by large companies only hire union workers. Don't know how it is in Ohio but such is the case in lower New York State.

Nutmegger Jul 15th 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by NickConklin (Post 12710640)

I’m not sure if I’d tried it, mate; can’t recall. Maybe just not using the right websites. But I’ve been searching plant training companies and they describe the telehandler as a RTF, so I’ve just twigged about that before you said, aye, but cheers anyway, mate.

Out of interest, which job site you using, mate?

Cheers
Marty

As I said, the employment site called "indeed" popped up when I inserted your search parameters. Just google the terminology i cited above.

michaelr711 Jul 15th 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by NickConklin (Post 12710581)
Hi there

English guy from Newcastle here. Will be marrying my American girl sometime in the future and hopefully moving to her hometown of Ohio, or anywhere that we fancy, really; but she’s back at her mom’s for now, so that’s where I’ll be landing.

Joined this site mainly to get advice from people on how to go about gaining employment in the construction industry; more specifically, operating telehandlers. Whenever I check American jobsites, telehandler - or any variation of that word - rarely comes up, except under “heavy machine operator,” which seems to require multiple skill sets. Suffice to say, I’m pretty confused lol. I’m also pretty sure my NPORS and CSCS tickets won’t be recognised in the U.S. too.

Anyhoo, just wanted to check in and introduce myself and make some new Brit friends in the U.S. and obviously get some advice.

All the best,
Nick

Just to nitpick/save you from mocking from American's when you land, Ohio is a state not a town.

ddsrph Jul 15th 2019 2:58 pm

Nick
Who manufactures the equipment you operate? If an international company like JD or Cat their website can give the name used in US for similar equipment. Unions here are on the ropes and I think you will find many non-union construction or heavy manufacturing companies in Ohio. Your skills should transfer easily to many similar types of equipment used in construction or manufacturing.