Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teenage Permanent Resident

Wikiposts

Teenage Permanent Resident

Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:34 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by mozoo
We make our beds and we have to lie in them comes to mind.
Indeed, and USCIS doesn't change the sheets very often. Look at it this way: you and your husband did what you had to do at the time. And I assume you wouldn't have changed that in hindsight. Now you're getting the awareness you need for today's situation. You might want to look into citizenship as well - I don't know the rules very well, but it sounds like she might be eligible when she turns 18. Then you can do your thing, she can do hers (but you won't then be able to get her out of the country by framing her on a felony charge ).
Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like she has the five years needed to apply for naturalization. If she wants to stay here on her own she ought to apply in her own right.

I know how kids can change....my own has changed so much between 10 and 13..... I can only hope that she won't be criminally minded by 18.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it not always the child but the parents who are the bastards..
My wife's sister and her new husband.. a few week ago threw their 18 yo daughter out of the house for a terrible crime.. she crept out of her window to meet her boyfriend for an hour..... at midnight...The girl is now living with her grandmother..

but retribution is at hand... we have since found out the girl is being paid $825 a month due to her following her real father's death a while ago ..
But the girl knew nothing about it ..as mummy dearest is having it sent to her... that stopped friday.. and will in future be sent to the girl..

On monday we will see about getting back all the money the mother has already received..
Old Mar 25th 2006, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
My wife's sister and her new husband.. a few week ago threw their 18 yo daughter out of the house for a terrible crime.. she crept out of her window to meet her boyfriend for an hour..... at midnight...The girl is now living with her grandmother..

but retribution is at hand... we have since found out the girl is being paid $825 a month due to her following her real father's death a while ago ..
But the girl knew nothing about it ..as mummy dearest is having it sent to her... that stopped friday.. and will in future be sent to the girl..

On monday we will see about getting back all the money the mother has already received..
Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:16 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by Ray

that is so horrid!!! No matter what daughter does, we will always be there for her. We will never give up on her. Hubby has read all the responses to this thread so far, and they have somewhat mellowed him. He is understanding of every perspective y'all have voiced. Daughter is a diamond (albeit in the rough, but every facet is bootiful) and that's how we're looking at it now. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we have to be many beholders!!!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 1:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
..... don't give your daughter money or access to your vehicle. You ARE partially responsible while she is under 18 for her actions regardless of whether or not you've given her money or a car, ........
Can I suggest an umbrella insurance policy? Assuming that you are a home owner, they are pretty cheap - I think that we paid less that $100 for a year's worth of $1million liabliity coverage.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Can I suggest an umbrella insurance policy? Assuming that you are a home owner, they are pretty cheap - I think that we paid less that $100 for a year's worth of $1million liabliity coverage.
Prices are going up, a lot.

Also the underwriting parameters are quite restrictive.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:37 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Glad to see you've got your priorities right Ray.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:36 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

Sounds like she has the five years needed to apply for naturalization. If she wants to stay here on her own she ought to apply in her own right.

I know how kids can change....my own has changed so much between 10 and 13..... I can only hope that she won't be criminally minded by 18.

We have looked into the naturalization process for her. It may take between six to nine months and possibly up to two years. She is going to be 18 in July.

I tried to guide her just last night. What I have found out horrifies me. She's not pulling any punches and is definitely acting criminally minded.

Guess we are going to have to bite the bullet and involve the authorities. Otherwise, we can be seen to have aided and abetted.

They call it tough love - for me, it's the toughest shit I have ever experienced and I would not wish it on anyone.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:59 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

We have looked into the naturalization process for her. It may take between six to nine months and possibly up to two years. She is going to be 18 in July.

I tried to guide her just last night. What I have found out horrifies me. She's not pulling any punches and is definitely acting criminally minded.

Guess we are going to have to bite the bullet and involve the authorities. Otherwise, we can be seen to have aided and abetted.

They call it tough love - for me, it's the toughest shit I have ever experienced and I would not wish it on anyone.
I am so sorry to hear about this dreadful development. Can't you suggest to her that she takes a trip to the UK to get her head back together? Once she is 18, can you support her to the extent that she has her own apartment or share of an apartment/rental property? There are nearly always options.

Last edited by User Name; Mar 29th 2006 at 2:18 am.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:10 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Not legal advice, general discussion purposes only. I am expressly not your lawyer.

Btw, are you really sure it is not just jaw jaw boastful jaw jaw? Talking is one thing, actually doing something really bad is another thing. As you must know, teens go through a funny/weird phase when all they are doing is breaking free from their parents. Might just be a crazy crazy phase that will be all but blown over come all grown up time.

If you do involve the cops, remember this will leave a permanent impression on your daughter. If she is planning to do something very serious and has taken active steps to achieve such a goal, then this is different and you should take steps to stop her actions including the ultimate option of going to the cops.

As a general matter, in stressful family situations involving an errant teenager one of the best ways of getting legal cover is to tell all to a competent attorney.

Not legal advice, general discussion purposes only. I am expressly not your lawyer.

Last edited by User Name; Mar 29th 2006 at 2:17 am.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no. Depending on the crime involved, there may be support/prevention groups out there to help you intervene. Normally, terrorist acts excluded, the cops can't arrest someone for THINKING about committing a crime; they must wait until it happens. How can you aid and abet?

Go ahead and file her naturalisation papers now before she's committed any crime and then emphasise to her that if she screws up, she'll jeopardise her right to stay in the country indefinitely.

Are you in private counselling with her, her by herself, you by yourself?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OMG reading this thread over the past few days just makes me realise how lucky I am as a parent.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:49 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG reading this thread over the past few days just makes me realise how lucky I am as a parent.
So far.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So far.
Well its been 21 years so far, but never say never eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.