Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teenage Permanent Resident

Wikiposts

Teenage Permanent Resident

Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:53 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by Boiler
Absolutely

There is also a big difference between pre and post 18 convictions.
Depends on the jurisdiction and the offence, though.

You can be tried as an adult as young as 14 here in Texas.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Depends on the jurisdiction and the offence, though.

You can be tried as an adult as young as 14 here in Texas.
You can be tried as an adult here under 18 as well, but usually we are talking about unusual circumstances, just thinking back to a kid who was always in trouble and seemed to have not a lot done, hit 18 and carried on and next thing he knows he is down in Canyon City having his bottom inspected for a couple of years.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You can be tried as an adult here under 18 as well, but usually we are talking about unusual circumstances, just thinking back to a kid who was always in trouble and seemed to have not a lot done, hit 18 and carried on and next thing he knows he is down in Canyon City having his bottom inspected for a couple of years.
Given all the wailing on this forum over lenient sentencing in the UK, maybe the OP's daughter would be better off there, then.

OP: don't give your daughter money or access to your vehicle. You ARE partially responsible while she is under 18 for her actions regardless of whether or not you've given her money or a car, but she can do more damage with those. When does her 10 year GC expire? Again, how does she expect to support herself? If she's nasty enough to exploit her step-father's AOS for her, then I'd consult an attorney. Don't EVER let your kid extort money from you.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Given all the wailing on this forum over lenient sentencing in the UK, maybe the OP's daughter would be better off there, then.

Don't EVER let your kid extort money from you.
1. Not sure about wailing, commentating.

2 I get stung on a regularish basis by a 4 and 6 year olds, they know that McDonalds will not usually work, but an ice cream when its a nice day, as it is today, may well be on.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:55 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

If she wants to go down the emancipation route, don't know how long it will take, but then she's basically on her own.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:27 am
Lapine Member

1. Not sure about wailing, commentating.

2 I get stung on a regularish basis by a 4 and 6 year olds, they know that McDonalds will not usually work, but an ice cream when its a nice day, as it is today, may well be on.
The first is a point-of-view thing.... the Aussies-to-be seem to be .... upset.

The second -- world of difference between the kids manoeuvering for an ice cream vs a stroppy 18-year-old who knows that her stepdad has to financially support her for, well, forever. If the 18-year-old tries to play that card, then as a parent, I'd be horrified.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:49 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Our Liam (now 20) has been in jail 4 times, for 3 MIP's (minor in possession)and a lil stay for non-payment of fines. He had no problem getting his 10yr LPR card, citizenship might not come so easy but for now apart from every local cop knowing him as far as we know there are no plans to chuck him out of the country. Jan
Originally Posted by Manc
they're misdemeanors, not felonies though.
Is "Our Liam (now 20)" your kid Matt?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:11 am
Account Closed

The first is a point-of-view thing.... the Aussies-to-be seem to be .... upset.
I have no idie about the Aussie connection, I have certainly heard enough from the English perspective, but thats what listening to the BBC does to you.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:39 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to keep showing your daugter love and affection. We probably all went/go off the rails but you know what, show foregiveness and compassion and love and more love (did I mention love)...

It's hard, I have teenage boys but despite everything, they DO come back if you keep the love, through everything. In fact, they love you, even when they are showing MEAN !!

God bless
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mozoo
Oh goody - we get to renew her UK passport and then dump her back in England coz she sure ain't gonna pay for her citizenship ... and we don't want her to die just yet!!! Hubby will be well pleased for forking out yet another ginormous stash of dosh so that we don't get into mega trubbs with the US Authorities.
You might want to check out your understanding of "sponsor". You aren't required to return her to the UK.

The rest is an interesting topic; I'd like to think about it further.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by franc11s
Don't forget to keep showing your daugter love and affection. We probably all went/go off the rails but you know what, show foregiveness and compassion and love and more love (did I mention love)...

It's hard, I have teenage boys but despite everything, they DO come back if you keep the love, through everything. In fact, they love you, even when they are showing MEAN !!

God bless
My wife had 6 years of hell, her daughter is 23 on Sunday and everything is fine now.

I jested that she could provide a months worth of scripts for Eastenders, except they would be considered too improbable to be real.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:58 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

Thank you so much, everybody, for your wonderful replies. We, as parents, have done many of the suggestions put forward. When those have been implemented, things are good for probably a week ... and then there are more antics. She doesn't have a DL (which is a blessing), earns a pittance from her part time job, and we don't fund her at all. She is constantly reassured that we love her and care about her well being but it seems to fall on deaf ears most of the time.

The magic age seems to be 18 - methinks we will have to call Immigration and find out if hubby is still responsible for sponsoring her after that age and, if so, how long he has to keep that up for.

We had good giggles at some of the outright honest responses - y'all made our day which is extremely appreciated.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:16 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mozoo
The magic age seems to be 18 - methinks we will have to call Immigration and find out if hubby is still responsible for sponsoring her after that age and, if so, how long he has to keep that up for.
Age is irrelevent. Ten years, 40 credits. See the following link:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

You might find it cheaper to do follow Bob's lead and make her a citizen.

BTW, your husband should have been very aware of what he was agreeing to when he signed that Affidavit of Support. It is not known to be frequently enforced, but it has very far reaching consequences and cannot be given up voluntarily. The document itself states in very cleaar terms what is expected, so if you have any doubts download a copy from the link above.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Mar 24th 2006 at 4:42 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:40 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Teenage Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

You might find it cheaper to do follow Bob's lead and make her a citizen.

YAY -

Thanks for providing that link - we have some SERIOUS reading to do now. Must admit that the USCIS site is very bewildering for us now - when we moved here 7 yrs ago, everything seemed so uncomplicated on the INS site.

Yeh - so much stuff necessitates in change ... I wasn't being lazy and hoping that someone would just give me information. Probably, I was looking to see if anybody else had been in the same kayak as us and how they managed to cope with it all. It makes it seem less lonely for us "disfunctionals"!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:06 pm
medusas peligrosas

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

BTW, your husband should have been very aware of what he was agreeing to when he signed that Affidavit of Support. It is not known to be frequently enforced, but it has very far reaching consequences and cannot be given up voluntarily. The document itself states in very cleaar terms what is expected, so if you have any doubts download a copy from the link above.

Now - hindsight at that time would have been brilliant eh? Upon emigrating to the US from the UK, daughter was an extremely wonderful 10 yr old - absolutely not a problem child. Seven years later is another story. We make our beds and we have to lie in them comes to mind. Hubby and I are extremely aware of our responsibilities and we will not shirk them - we just want to do what is right - and I will follow the laws of the country that has graciously accepted my child and me via my marriage to a USC.

Does it all boil down to "consequences" at the end? That could really suck for hubby and me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.