Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teen going back to UK University - Home or International student?

Teen going back to UK University - Home or International student?

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Craftycow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teen going back to UK University - Home or International student?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think she means being out of the country for over 6 mths as a perm resident. That doesn’t always work though. My daughter came back to the US every month or so, Christmas holidays and for 3 months during the summer. She had a US reg and insured car, US address, bank account, credit card etc...but she was still told at the port of entry to get a re-entry permit or she wouldn’t be allowed into the US again. Thankfully her next trip back was for her interview and US citizenship ceremony.
got it, thank you
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My son has just completed a year at Amsterdam University College.... after completing IB here in the USA. He loves it! Taught totally in English and fees are v cheap 4500 eu per year. Might be something for your son to look into? The university colleges in NL (Utrecht,Amsterdam and Eindhoven).. Excellent courses and very international.

We got the travel permit in time for him to leave and were really glad we did because he lost his GC ( physically lost it). The re-entry permit worked in it's place to get him home for the summer. For this alone it's worth it.
You might like to point out ( as we did) to your son the benefits of maintaining US permanent residence status - with Brexit if he loses his LPR status, then he's going to be stuck with looking for work in an economically depressed UK.
Anecdotally, for the UK, some universities have been prepared to be lenient over residency requirement but I haven't heard anything of this in the last year or so. I suspect things have been tightened up.
good luck to your son!
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

We got the travel permit in time for him to leave and were really glad we did because he lost his GC ( physically lost it). The re-entry permit worked in it's place to get him home for the summer. For this alone it's worth it.
You might like to point out ( as we did) to your son the benefits of maintaining US permanent residence status - with Brexit if he loses his LPR status, then he's going to be stuck with looking for work in an economically depressed UK.
Anecdotally, for the UK, some universities have been prepared to be lenient over residency requirement but I haven't heard anything of this in the last year or so. I suspect things have been tightened up.
good luck to your son!
All good points worth considering! Much appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:32 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If his intention is to return to the US, then I would seriously counsel him not to go and take a UK degree. A US degree, in their format, will be easier for potential employers to understand when the time comes.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing to consider is fluctuating exchange rates...it could costs thousands more...or less.

Also emergencies...flights at short notice are expensive. Trips home at peak times...Christmas etc.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing to consider is fluctuating exchange rates...it could costs thousands more...or less.

Also emergencies...flights at short notice are expensive. Trips home at peak times...Christmas etc.
We have 'student insurance" for our son which pays out for emergencies - including flying a parent to him if he is hospitalised. This is a requirement in NL for non-NL students.
I can kind of see civilservant's point of view for a UK university if they still use the old 1:1 . 1:2 results system - the US employers probably wouldn't understand that. However, please bear in mind that there are UK universities that come over to attract USC students so I think he may be slightly out of date with that attitude??
Also the UK is really not a cheap place to go and study even if you are assessed domestic fees and not International ones. Unless you were going to a really, really well known university that would help you get into a good Masters program in the USA or at least get a job because everyone's heard of Oxford and Cambridge....
On the other side, I work with a few tech companies here in Austin and the one thing that I see time and time again is that new hires have some kind of "international" background, even if it's just a semester studying abroad. And that's not just in techy roles but in marketing/sales/ etc. My daughter's experience at FB ( CS grad) is that 80% of her co-workers have international experience/background and many speak at least one other language.
In all , I don't think it's a clear cut decision and as a mum of 3 who are at this stage, I think they should go where they will be happy and will accrue the least amount of debt. No point having a US degree with $$$ of debt hanging round your neck.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:43 pm
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Craftycow
We moved to Arizona due to my husband’s job in 2015 with our son, then 13. We are all UK Nationals. He has now just started his Junior year of High School and starting to think about college and is interested in going back to the U.K. to study once he graduates (he is taking IB). I can’t work out though whether he would be considered an international student and be charged accordingly or whether he would still be treated as a Home student ? Can anyone advise or share similar experience? Thank you.
As I recall, to be classed as a 'home' student, they need to have been 'normally resident' in the UK for three years prior to the first day of their course. Otherwise they're classed as an international student. There was a European Court of Justice case about this, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

Wikipedia has a useful link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_s...United_Kingdom)...
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimandRae
As I recall, to be classed as a 'home' student, they need to have been 'normally resident' in the UK for three years prior to the first day of their course. Otherwise they're classed as an international student. There was a European Court of Justice case about this, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

Wikipedia has a useful link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_s...United_Kingdom)...
True but we have had people post in the UK forum that this rule can be ‘bent’ somewhat. Seems to be down on the uni in question.

Another point...there may be a better chance of being accepted as an International Student...as it brings more money into the uni. I was quite surprised when one of my daughter’s school friends was accepted to St Andrews. The student was below average at school...needless to say that person dropped out after a year.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:35 pm
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

True but we have had people post in the UK forum that this rule can be ‘bent’ somewhat. Seems to be down on the uni in question.

Another point...there may be a better chance of being accepted as an International Student...as it brings more money into the uni. I was quite surprised when one of my daughter’s school friends was accepted to St Andrews. The student was below average at school...needless to say that person dropped out after a year.
That's all well and good, but I believed the original question was about whether the student would be treated as a 'home' student or international, rather than whether they would be accepted.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your input and experiences. All very useful information and food for thought as we moe through Junior year
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's all well and good, but I believed the original question was about whether the student would be treated as a 'home' student or international, rather than whether they would be accepted.
Splitting hairs?

As I have said...unis seems to be able to bend the rules. Some of our members have posted that there child has been treated/accepted as home students.. others have said not.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 3:56 pm
Plunged in

Splitting hairs?
No. Not really. International students pay significantly more in fees than home students in the UK and are eligible for little, if any, financial support.

I can imagine that given the costs of higher education both in the US and the UK this would be a major consideration for many families.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No. Not really. International students pay significantly more in fees than home students in the UK and are eligible for little, if any, financial support.

I can imagine that given the costs of higher education both in the US and the UK this would be a major consideration for many families.
Agreed. That’s why the OP shouldn’t give up hope of non UK residency fees...as some unis seem to be able to bend the rules.