British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Teen going back to UK University - Home or International student? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/teen-going-back-uk-university-home-international-student-916391/)

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 12:24 am

Teen going back to UK University - Home or International student?

We moved to Arizona due to my husband’s job in 2015 with our son, then 13. We are all UK Nationals. He has now just started his Junior year of High School and starting to think about college and is interested in going back to the U.K. to study once he graduates (he is taking IB). I can’t work out though whether he would be considered an international student and be charged accordingly or whether he would still be treated as a Home student ? Can anyone advise or share similar experience? Thank you.

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 12:27 am

Re: Teen going back to UK University - Home or International student?

Originally Posted by Craftycow (Post 12552942)
We moved to Arizona due to my husband’s job in 2015 with our son, then 13. We are all UK Nationals. He has now just started his Junior year of High School and starting to think about college and is interested in going back to the U.K. to study once he graduates (he is taking IB). I can’t work out though whether he would be considered an international student and be charged accordingly or whether he would still be treated as a Home student ? Can anyone advise or share similar experience? Thank you.

Are the visas temporary...or do you have green-cards? If you have GCs there is a 3 year UK residency requirement preceding uni. That may vary depending on which uni he chooses.

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12552943)
Are the visas temporary...or do you have green-cards? If you have GCs there is a 3 year UK residency requirement preceding uni. That may vary depending on which uni he chooses.

we just got our GCs a coupme of month’s ago - guess that answers the question then! Thank you.

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Craftycow (Post 12552944)

we just got our GCs a coupme of month’s ago - guess that answers the question then! Thank you.

It is worth asking the uni he’s interested in.

If he goes to uni outside the US he will need to apply for a re-entry document...in order to keep his US status.

Also bear in mind that he may want to stay in the UK after uni...rather than returning to the US.

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12552949)

If he goes to uni outside the US he will need to apply for a re-entry document...in order to keep his US status.

Also bear in mind that he may want to stay in the UK after uni...rather than returning to the US.

oh Lord! Never thought of that!

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Craftycow (Post 12552953)

oh Lord! Never thought of that!

My daughter went to uni in Canada. People warned us she may well want to stay there. Just before she graduated she was offered a job, met a Canadian guy, married, had a baby...need I go on?

It may not happen but something to think about.

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12552958)
My daughter went to uni in Canada. People warned us she may well want to stay there. Just before she graduated she was offered a job, met a Canadian guy, married, had a baby...need I go on?

:rofl:

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12552949)

sorry, another question then ... how easy is it to apply
for re-entry document if he does want to come back and live here ?

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Craftycow (Post 12552963)

sorry, another question then ... how easy is it to apply
for re-entry document if he does want to come back and live here ?

Very easy but it must be done while he is in the US.

ChrisK Aug 23rd 2018 1:18 am

Somewhat complicated: our two daughters got through as UK students - they did have GC's, although we still had a UK home and as such they hadn't really started 'life' in the US. (They since have returned their GCs much to the bemusement of the US authorities!)

mommapudding Aug 23rd 2018 1:47 am

DD paid first year (foundation year) as international, has just been assessed as home fees for next year. Several British passport holding international students have found the same. She’s taking citizenship interview before she returns to UK for the start of term. Will hopefully have ceremony during Christmas break, then we won’t have the six month rule in play. We’ve been here 11 years. HTH

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ChrisK (Post 12552967)
Somewhat complicated: our two daughters got through as UK students - they did have GC's, although we still had a UK home and as such they hadn't really started 'life' in the US. (They since have returned their GCs much to the bemusement of the US authorities!)

Originally Posted by mommapudding (Post 12552975)
DD paid first year (foundation year) as international, has just been assessed as home fees for next year. Several British passport holding international students have found the same. She’s taking citizenship interview before she returns to UK for the start of term. Will hopefully have ceremony during Christmas break, then we won’t have the six month rule in play. We’ve been here 11 years. HTH

Yup...as I said it is worth asking the universities you are interested in because they may be willing to ‘bend’. ;)

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ChrisK (Post 12552967)

Lol! We still have a home there but it is rented to tenants...

Craftycow Aug 23rd 2018 2:21 am

Originally Posted by mommapudding (Post 12552975)

Sorry, what is the 6 month rule?

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Craftycow (Post 12552988)

Sorry, what is the 6 month rule?

I think she means being out of the country for over 6 mths as a perm resident. That doesn’t always work though. My daughter came back to the US every month or so, Christmas holidays and for 3 months during the summer. She had a US reg and insured car, US address, bank account, credit card etc...but she was still told at the port of entry to get a re-entry permit or she wouldn’t be allowed into the US again. Thankfully her next trip back was for her interview and US citizenship ceremony.