Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in the US

Teaching in the US

Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the US

Originally Posted by Lupine Lacuna
Thanks Ian

Yes the intention is to be full term and long time. Why however would I need to do a masters if - despite the challeneges in the short term - a PGCE is transferable?

I am in principle happy to do a masters but cannot believe that my first post is true, ie, I have to do those stupid modules first, which effectively means wasting a year (or more) doing them. Surely I can just go in and do it can't I?
A masters is another box to tick...when there are loads of teachers who already have teaching experience and are qualified in the state, many of them already have a masters, it means you've got more hassle to over come.

PRAXIS levels required do depend on the state, some are really rather low like Florida, some are really high such as in Maine.

And sure, some schools might let you teach, but until you're state certified, you'd be some what limited in pay and you'd still need to get state certified within a certain period of time.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, I'm sure that would help you a lot.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The state, not the school, sets the rules for certification.

Ian
I don't think that's right, it seems that private schools can employ whom they like.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Lupine Lacuna is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm happy to do the masters, its just infuriating they would require you to do those other modules. It can't be right, there must be a way around it.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to do the masters, its just infuriating they would require you to do those other modules. It can't be right, there must be a way around it.
Find a state who doesn't have them, or a area that's either poor or not a great area who might be willing to over look them while you get certified, or go to a private school....
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you are interested in teaching at the university level, the requirements may be less stringent. For example my DIL currently teaches full time at Parsons College in NYC and teaching credentials are not required. My son has taught several semesters at the University of Minnesota and NYIT and again teaching credentials were not required. Neither has teaching credentials.

From the following link you will see that it does not mention that teaching credentials are required at a California university.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7626487_beco...niversity.html

Last edited by Michael; Mar 18th 2011 at 5:45 am.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

Having taught in UK with BA Hons and PGCE for 5 years we moved to Florida.... could not get credentials transfered - told to go back to Uni for 2 more yrs!!!!!! In the end went Private School... worked my way up and left as Interim Principal.... If you have a Degree then go Private School.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Lupine Lacuna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks teacher, is it true that they pay less?

Weird as over here they pay more
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Michael
If you are interested in teaching at the university level, the requirements may be less stringent. For example my DIL currently teaches full time at Parsons College in NYC and teaching credentials are not required. My son has taught several semesters at the University of Minnesota and NYIT and again teaching credentials were not required. Neither has teaching credentials.

From the following link you will see that it does not mention that teaching credentials are required at a California university.
Though you do generally need a masters to teach at uni, even if you have experience. Obviously not the case everywhere, but that generally is the case.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

Thanks teacher, is it true that they pay less?

Weird as over here they pay more
They do pay less... around 10k.... What I did was I undertook my Masters in Education Leadership whilst working - once a week for 4 hrs for 18 mths.... that way I skipped the rigmoral of doing another Degree and wasting 20k... Hope this helps.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Though you do generally need a masters to teach at uni, even if you have experience. Obviously not the case everywhere, but that generally is the case.
True, most requires a masters or phd.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:49 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

all the kindergarten teachers in my kids elementary school have masters (i think over 95% of the teachers in the school have one). They get onto a better pay scale with it (unless the law changes here which it may do in ohio with senate bill 5). You may regard it as useless but a masters here in the education world is taken almost as a norm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teach3r
They do pay less... around 10k.... What I did was I undertook my Masters in Education Leadership whilst working - once a week for 4 hrs for 18 mths.... that way I skipped the rigmoral of doing another Degree and wasting 20k... Hope this helps.
I found teachers in the private schools my daughter went to the teachers were paid less...but that was the same in the UK. BTW both had masters degrees.