Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in US

Teaching in US

Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in US

Originally Posted by Ray
Income ..very good point ...Feeding two teenager alone would bleed you dry ..
Hey Ray - I edited
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hey Ray - I edited
I must say I dont undertand parents obsession with having
their kids with them...by 21 ..they should be away finding their
own life...I certainly was...you learn thing very quickly then
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:59 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Mallory, would you happen to know, would these places pay enough to support 3/4 adults, the community college education costs for two people and the running of two cars?

Edit - this link tells me that one person can live on the salary: http://www.vifprogram.com/learn/us/finances.html

Sounds like it might be OK for the OP to survive on the salary, but not for anyone else to be supported by this wage.

(Of course we don't know the whole situation....kids might have a trust fund etc and not need financial support from the OP, hubby may also be seeking a teaching job....)
I really don't know much about it - I've seen articles in the paper whereby foreign teachers come over. It's usually to schools where they can't get US teachers to live/work; way out in the sticks in poor areas. I would think it's a program aimed at young single people, to come over and get a different experience. I seriously doubt it would be enough money for a family with children.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

megasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mallory
http://www.vifprogram.com/learn/us/faq.html

most of the schools are going to be in very disadvantaged areas. you might not like it.
I dont mind disadvantaged areas, I have worked in some in the UK. In some of these areas the children are so much 'nicer people' because of it.

Unfortunately, as I posted earlier, the Vif program and other J visa options are no good, we want to move permanently, which would be a H1 visa.
Sue
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

nkw59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by megasue
I dont mind disadvantaged areas, I have worked in some in the UK. In some of these areas the children are so much 'nicer people' because of it.

Unfortunately, as I posted earlier, the Vif program and other J visa options are no good, we want to move permanently, which would be a H1 visa.
Sue
And I thought I was the only one desperate to get out of Oldham.I was offered a job recently in my trade but the visa lottery makes things so hard to get there,Just waiting to see if the company wants to shell out that kind of money to get me there.Im only a fitter but have a varied experience in machinery,just what they want hopefully.Good luck megasue I know how you feel !
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

megasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nice

Originally Posted by nkw59
And I thought I was the only one desperate to get out of Oldham.I was offered a job recently in my trade but the visa lottery makes things so hard to get there,Just waiting to see if the company wants to shell out that kind of money to get me there.Im only a fitter but have a varied experience in machinery,just what they want hopefully.Good luck megasue I know how you feel !
Where in Oldham are you?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Im in Royton,just down the road from latics .
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

I have sent you a PM
We are in Shaw, I have just picked up one of my lads from Latics!

You a fan?

You will know why we want to get away from here!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

I know now it all makes sense,have you got webbed feet ? !!! Only joking....I was going to send you a message but didn't have enough post's to send one...,but now I do, he he....By the way I'm a red fan !
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I know now it all makes sense,have you got webbed feet ? !!! Only joking....I was going to send you a message but didn't have enough post's to send one...,but now I do, he he....By the way I'm a red fan !
I have sent you a PM
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just for your info, the next start dates on the H1B visa is October 2009.

H1B visas for October 2008 start date ran out in April.

The exception to this is if the job offer is from an organisation that is not subject to the annual cap (quota). eg some educational establishments, some hospitals, some charities.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

webster2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Megasue,

Not sure if this will help but I'm a teacher and went to the US to teach via an agency called Timeplan, based in London. They are currently helping me go back, but I have to add that I'm a dual national - UKC and USC - but that just made it easier. They send teachers all over the world - I shared a house with a teacher from Jamaica who had taught in UK before transferring to US.

As I've made recent contact they have said that the process to get visa for UK teachers to work in US has become more difficult, but didn't say impossible.

They have a website, but it doesn't have any info about USA, so best thing is to call them up first - they have branches all over but I only have the London number - I don't want to give it out on forum, so if you're interested I'll PM it to you....when I've figured out hoe to do that!

By the way, what do you teach?

Suzy
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:54 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webster2007
Kids probably.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by webster2007
Megasue,

Not sure if this will help but I'm a teacher and went to the US to teach via an agency called Timeplan, based in London. They are currently helping me go back, but I have to add that I'm a dual national - UKC and USC - but that just made it easier. They send teachers all over the world - I shared a house with a teacher from Jamaica who had taught in UK before transferring to US.

As I've made recent contact they have said that the process to get visa for UK teachers to work in US has become more difficult, but didn't say impossible.

They have a website, but it doesn't have any info about USA, so best thing is to call them up first - they have branches all over but I only have the London number - I don't want to give it out on forum, so if you're interested I'll PM it to you....when I've figured out hoe to do that!

Suzy
Hi Suzy, Thanks for the info, but its not really for me.
There is not only me, but my husband and 2 21yr olds as well.
These agencies don't cater for families.
They also only do the J visa which is not permanent, again not for us.
I really need to do the H1b route again.

Yes I do teach kids, the younger the better. Usually Reception Class. but anything from Nursery to Year 2 now on supply,

Thanks and Good Luck,
Sue
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Suzy, Thanks for the info, but its not really for me.
There is not only me, but my husband and 2 21yr olds as well.
These agencies don't cater for families.
They also only do the J visa which is not permanent, again not for us.
I really need to do the H1b route again.

Yes I do teach kids, the younger the better. Usually Reception Class. but anything from Nursery to Year 2 now on supply,

Thanks and Good Luck,
Sue
I was just thinking, as the kids are adults, why don't they try for visas in their own right? Say, plan to join you in a few years time. I must admit I do not understand why they have to come with you.....I understand of course that some people have disabilities requiring carers, but I dont think this is the case in this situation? I mean at 21, your kids support themselves, cook for themselves, do all their own laundry, housework and maintain their own finances right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.