Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Florida

Teaching in Florida

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by kodokan
..... The new guy they replaced her with is amazingly proactive, has already fixed long-running problems like rerouting the flow for the buses and car drop-off lanes, and is very present on the campus - outside every single day for drop-off/ pick-up, .....
It sounds like your ideal school principal would be a retired traffic cop!
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Kodokan

How did your Ground Hog problem turnout?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Kodokan

How did your Ground Hog problem turnout?
Not quite sure yet. The sellers said it was an old burrow from last year, but it looked relatively recent to me (sellers had mulch put on the beds twice a year, so it's presumably turned up since then).

We closed on the house on Monday, are having some work done, then moving in in a couple of weeks. Once we're in, I'll try putting soil or grass clippings loosely in the hole, to see if it's an active burrow or not. If dormant, I'll fill it in; otherwise, I'll see who the resident is and if s/he becomes a nuisance.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Not quite sure yet. The sellers said it was an old burrow from last year, but it looked relatively recent to me (sellers had mulch put on the beds twice a year, so it's presumably turned up since then).

We closed on the house on Monday, are having some work done, then moving in in a couple of weeks. Once we're in, I'll try putting soil or grass clippings loosely in the hole, to see if it's an active burrow or not. If dormant, I'll fill it in; otherwise, I'll see who the resident is and if s/he becomes a nuisance.
How did the housing market in Columbus compare to Arizona? Did you get more house for the money in your opinion? I lived for many years, went to high school and still have family in Southern Indiana. Probably very similar to your area of Ohio. It's really a good place to live and if you get tired of the winter cold a few hours on I-75 and you can be in Florida for a few days or weeks.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 9:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... if you get tired of the winter cold a few hours on I-75 and you can be in Florida for a few days or weeks.
I'm not sure about "a few hours". Columbus, OH to Jacksonville, FL is 12hrs on the road, probably 16-17 hours minimum actual journey time, unless you want to eat meals on the road. And that's barely crossing the state line into Florida.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not sure about "a few hours". Columbus, OH to Jacksonville, FL is 12hrs on the road, probably 16-17 hours minimum actual journey time, unless you want to eat meals on the road. And that's barely crossing the state line into Florida.
It's definitely a long trip. I have done it many times from a almost equal distant starting point in Indiana. It always seemed easier going down with the anticipation of warm weather versus the long drive back home. Getting thru Atlanta is always a challenge.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

How did the housing market in Columbus compare to Arizona? Did you get more house for the money in your opinion? I lived for many years, went to high school and still have family in Southern Indiana. Probably very similar to your area of Ohio. It's really a good place to live and if you get tired of the winter cold a few hours on I-75 and you can be in Florida for a few days or weeks.
Housing market... Houses are around the same price per sq ft, I think. We've bought a smaller house here, having made the rookie error in AZ of buying much more house than we need, then having to cool/ maintain/ furnish it accordingly at an exhorbitant price tag.

The market is red hot here at the moment; we viewed our house within 2-3 hours of it hitting the market and made a full list price cash offer. Despite this, the sellers still had another full price cash offer as a back up! So we count ourselves lucky to have got it, in exactly the area we needed for schools and wanted for work.

Winter... I don't think we'll get tired for a while, after AZ. We're actively looking forward to a cold snap, and the whole 'ooh, snow! And a snow day for school!' should carry us through a couple of winters at least. Be nice to have Christmas once again in a climate that makes sense for that season.