Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Florida

Teaching in Florida

Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:28 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Debnam N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Florida

Hi.
We are trying to find out information about teaching in florida.We would like to hear from any uk teachers who are now teaching in the states.We have been unable to track down a recruitment agency that specialises in teachers. We have looked on the teach florida website. We would be especially interested in anyone who could tell us the major differences in the typical working day between the states and uk schools.
Thanks
Debnam N is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:02 pm
  #2  
The Duchess of Putney
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,151
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Debnam N View Post
Hi.
We are trying to find out information about teaching in florida.We would like to hear from any uk teachers who are now teaching in the states.We have been unable to track down a recruitment agency that specialises in teachers. We have looked on the teach florida website. We would be especially interested in anyone who could tell us the major differences in the typical working day between the states and uk schools.
Thanks
What visa were you planning to use?
Elvira is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:39 pm
  #3  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Debnam N View Post
Hi.
We are trying to find out information about teaching in florida.We would like to hear from any uk teachers who are now teaching in the states.We have been unable to track down a recruitment agency that specialises in teachers. We have looked on the teach florida website. We would be especially interested in anyone who could tell us the major differences in the typical working day between the states and uk schools.
Thanks
No doubt you would be looking at an H1B
Three problems come up:
County schools cannot afford the legal fees.
You are not certified to teach in Forida.
There are dozens of other teacher trying the same thing.

You may have more of a chance with a private school
but the chances are slim too none ..

Plus the salary's are not that good ...
Ray is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:56 pm
  #4  
Not dead yet
 
Thydney's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: In a world of my own where I know everyone
Posts: 15,042
Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
No doubt you would be looking at an H1B
Three problems come up:
County schools cannot afford the legal fees.
You are not certified to teach in Forida.
There are dozens of other teacher trying the same thing.

You may have more of a chance with a private school
but the chances are slim too none ..

Plus the salary's are not that good ...
Not that good Ray? You're a bit off there, the salaries are pathetic you really cannot afford to live. Mrs Thyd taught for a year and a half she and most of her colleagues had a second job.

Last edited by Thydney; Mar 18th 2007 at 8:58 pm.
Thydney is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:07 pm
  #5  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Thydney View Post
Not that good Ray? You're a bit off there, the salaries are pathetic you really cannot afford to live. Mrs Thyd taught for a year and a half she and most of her colleagues had a second job.
Some of us are more frugal than others ....
Ray is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:05 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
penguinsix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong, mostly.
Posts: 5,105
penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Before researching salaries and house prices, you should research this:

How to Live and Work in the USA

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That will present the cold hard facts of US immigration law (very strict) and how you can get a visa to come here.
penguinsix is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:15 pm
  #7  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,728
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
No doubt you would be looking at an H1B
Three problems come up:
County schools cannot afford the legal fees.
not just the cost, wouldn't be much good even if you got the visa as you'd miss a chunk of the year as you couldn't start till Oct....sod being a teacher, buff up on a subject at look at teaching in a uni, have much better chance from nill to slight.
Bob is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:05 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,266
TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Teachers earn peanuts here in FL.

The cost of living is so outrageous here, and I am not kidding, but dh met someone who is moving back to New York because he says it is more expensive down here than it is to live up there.

Was at a party Friday night and someone we've known for a while, a wealthy dude says that he doesn't want to keep paying the exhorbitant taxes and insurance (lives in a 2 million house which he's had for years) and is moving up to Atl, Georgia.

Not a good place to start off life right now, not unless you've got a pot of money.
TouristTrap is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:07 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,145
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
Teachers earn peanuts here in FL.

The cost of living is so outrageous here, and I am not kidding, but dh met someone who is moving back to New York because he says it is more expensive down here than it is to live up there.

Was at a party Friday night and someone we've known for a while, a wealthy dude says that he doesn't want to keep paying the exhorbitant taxes and insurance (lives in a 2 million house which he's had for years) and is moving up to Atl, Georgia.

Not a good place to start off life right now, not unless you've got a pot of money.
Would that be New York or New York City?
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:22 pm
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,266
TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

New York state.

Though, he did work with one on a project in December who was going to move down here, from Queens, and changed his mind when he heard what our property taxes and insurance rates were. He laughed outright at our homestead exemptions too - 25k - couldn't believe it.

Our food prices, electric, etc..have all increased tremendously the last 3 or 4 years. It used to be fairly cheap to live down here, not anymore.
TouristTrap is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:26 pm
  #11  
The Duchess of Putney
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,151
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
New York state.

Though, he did work with one on a project in December who was going to move down here, from Queens, and changed his mind when he heard what our property taxes and insurance rates were. He laughed outright at our homestead exemptions too - 25k - couldn't believe it.

Our food prices, electric, etc..have all increased tremendously the last 3 or 4 years. It used to be fairly cheap to live down here, not anymore.
But you don't get hurricanes, do you?
Elvira is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:32 pm
  #12  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,266
TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
But you don't get hurricanes, do you?
No, thankfully, Florida have avoided hurricanes since I've lived here the last 10 years. Touch wood.
TouristTrap is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:24 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 11,253
Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
No, thankfully, Florida have avoided hurricanes since I've lived here the last 10 years. Touch wood.
What? Florida avoided hurricanses? My friends just had their roof replaced a couple of years ago in Florida. They get 'hurricaned" regularly! Maybe you're on the other coast.
Tracym is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:17 am
  #14  
The Duchess of Putney
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: HOME
Posts: 23,151
Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Tracym View Post
What? Florida avoided hurricanses? My friends just had their roof replaced a couple of years ago in Florida. They get 'hurricaned" regularly! Maybe you're on the other coast.
You're marrying a Brit, right?

'Taking the mick' - does that ring a bell?
Elvira is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:11 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Debnam N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
What visa were you planning to use?
I am entering the states as an itu nurse and my husband is looking for a teaching job.We are also looking at Georgia.My husband and children will enter on my greencard.
Debnam N is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.