British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Teaching in Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/teaching-florida-160092/)

Taniar Jun 17th 2003 10:19 pm

Teaching in Florida

Anyone able to provide information about teaching in Florida, are there any "shortage" staffing subject areas as there are in England and Australia?

Thanks in advance Taniar:D

Patrick Jun 18th 2003 12:31 am

Re: Teaching in Florida

Originally posted by Taniar
Anyone able to provide information about teaching in Florida, are there any "shortage" staffing subject areas as there are in England and Australia?

Thanks in advance Taniar:D
Yes there are teaching shortages, mainly in Math and Science but there are short falls in other areas. The problem is you have to be certified and you can't get certified in the states without teaching.

So if you wanted to be a teacher first you would have to get a degree which has relevance to the subject you which to teach (so if you want to teach Math then your degree has to Math based). Then you would have to get a teaching certificate in the UK and then teach for a short while, so if you don't have a degree it could take 4-5 years with a degree 2-3.

The other bad thing is the pay, teachers are paid pretty crap (someone will pipe up and say teachers in NY are paid well - I am talking about places like NC and Florida). The good news is you get the whole of the summer off (June, July and August)

Patrick

Gosh you got mad at Pulaski when he gave you the cold hard truth - OK the real truth is that the schools are lined with Gold, just turn up and they will give a teaching job and pay you a gizillion dollars to do so! Get on a plane this second mr teacher!

frrussre Jun 18th 2003 1:19 am

Taniar, NY City schools were canvassing & employing foreign qualified teachers, 2 years ago. But now because of the huge deficit, they have laid off some of those teachers.

Reg. Frank R.

Maybe try searching the WWW. Or calling the Mayors office, NYC.

Reg. Frank R.

Ben Jun 18th 2003 12:34 pm

Patrick, the one advantage over here when teaching is you can work a second job, which a lot of teachers do especially when first starting out. They will often do the summer camps to supplement their salaries.:)

On Long Island teachers are very well paid, but I don't think that is true for NYstate on the whole, and especially NYC when you take into account the cost of living too.

Other states may not pay as well but their cost of living costs less too. When doing a comparison to how much teachers got paid in the UK to how much they get paid here (taking into account cost of living etc) there isn't a lot of difference between the two.

:)

Patrick Jun 18th 2003 1:56 pm

Originally posted by Ben
Patrick, the one advantage over here when teaching is you can work a second job, which a lot of teachers do especially when first starting out. They will often do the summer camps to supplement their salaries.:)

On Long Island teachers are very well paid, but I don't think that is true for NYstate on the whole, and especially NYC when you take into account the cost of living too.

Other states may not pay as well but their cost of living costs less too. When doing a comparison to how much teachers got paid in the UK to how much they get paid here (taking into account cost of living etc) there isn't a lot of difference between the two.

:)

Slightly disagree with you, my brother is a teacher in Pompy and he gets paid £19,000 and I went speak to people about teaching they said the salary was $23,000 ($7,000 less than my brother). Contrary to what most people seem to think I haven't found the US cost of living that much different to the UK. What is cheaper (Gas, cars, houses, meals out) is offset by the cost of other stuff.

My brother also got a bonus for training as a teacher, here you get the spanish inquesition. It wasn't the money that made me think again but the amount of paperwork you have to summit to be considered

Patrick