teaching

Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

lancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nice
Default teaching

Hi Everyone

Has anyone done their teacher training out in the States? My husband is american and we are considering relocating. His mum has parkinsons and we are in a real dilemma. We live in England, I'm due to qualify as a solicitor in England/he's a teacher. I'm not particularly happy in law, it's a nightmare to get qualified in Kentucky (where he is from) without a further 3 years at uni and teaching is something I have always been interested in doing. I guess I see this as an opportunity for a change.

Anyway if there are any brits teaching in elementary schools in particular any that have trained over in the States - It would be nice to hear your experiences!

It's tough at the moment - we don't know what to do....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching

Welcome to BE

Have a search as there's been a few teaching threads in the past, but the requirements to teach, thus what you need to do vary depending on the state you are in...
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know specifics yet, but I can provide a little info. My Brit OH has recently decided that he wants to teach. He has been studying environmental science, and instead of being out in the field has decided that being a high school may work out better for us. He's about 1.5 years into his Bachelor's degree, and he will be attending an info session at the University of Louisville on Nov. 3rd to understand more about how their Master's of Teaching program. They offer a MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching), that takes one year to complete, but you already have to have your Bachelors to qualify. He's going to the info session to understand what the qualifications are to be accepted, and to get a better grasp of what he the process is to become a teacher (at least, I think that's what this info session will explain).

It is a requirement that you have to have a Master's degree to teach in KY, no matter what grade level you teach, and I think the Master's has to be related to teaching (like the MAT UofL offers). Also, I believe he will have to pass the teacher licensure exam (the Praxis exam). He could possibly give you some more info after his upcoming info session after he learns some more specifics.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

lancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nicelancs is just really nice

that would be great! thank you as we would be relocating to kentucky. we are so confused about whether to move over or not part of me says we should and part says we should wait decisions but with my husbands mum being ill it is accelerating things. are you from kentucky?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancs
that would be great! thank you as we would be relocating to kentucky. we are so confused about whether to move over or not part of me says we should and part says we should wait decisions but with my husbands mum being ill it is accelerating things. are you from kentucky?
Yes, I'm from KY originally. I'm not entirely sure how much of a comparison to the UK school system he'll be able to give you though. My OH was born and (mostly) raised in South Africa, and returned back to Scotland with his folks back in 2000 after he had already finished his education. But he can at least potentially provide you with some knowledge of how to get certified, and what other degree you may need to have. Depending on the timeframe of when you plan to move back here, you may be able to get started on some stuff while you're still in the UK possibly.

We live just outside of Louisville, so depending on where you move to, keep in mind you could be limited on where you could find a teaching degree program. I think the UofL program may offer some classes in the evening (he'll confirm that next week) so that works well with him being able to work during the day still.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Oct 31st 2008 at 8:22 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to Google "lateral entry" - don't know if it applies elsewhere but in NC if you have an undergrad degree you can take extra classes to certify as a teacher (at least you can in PE, as we had students doing this where I taught)

[later edit: here's one example: http://online.northcarolina.edu/program.php?id=224]

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 31st 2008 at 10:40 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You might also want to Google "lateral entry" - don't know if it applies elsewhere but in NC if you have an undergrad degree you can take extra classes to certify as a teacher (at least you can in PE, as we had students doing this where I taught)
Hello stranger...nice to see you back.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello stranger...nice to see you back.
Thought as it was Halloween I'd come back and haunt you - Whooooooooooo! (where's the ghost smilie when you need it?)