British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   A taxing question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/taxing-question-926445/)

tiguera Jul 15th 2019 4:39 pm

A taxing question

Im on the long slow path to emigrating to Florida USA with my American wife of 17 years . I am 77..I have my S/S no.and medicare part A.I will be applying for part B as soon as I get my Green card.Medicare supplement plan via a local agent when I get there.. My first question to anyone who can help is,when do I notify the IRS of my existance in the USA.also is it better to file as single or jointly.

Many thanks for any help.

Giantaxe Jul 15th 2019 8:06 pm

Re: A taxing question

Originally Posted by tiguera (Post 12710719)
Im on the long slow path to emigrating to Florida USA with my American wife of 17 years . I am 77..I have my S/S no.and medicare part A.I will be applying for part B as soon as I get my Green card.Medicare supplement plan via a local agent when I get there.. My first question to anyone who can help is,when do I notify the IRS of my existance in the USA.also is it better to file as single or jointly.

Many thanks for any help.

You notify the IRS by virtue of paying quarterly taxes or filing a tax return. I don't know what your sources of income are, but unless tax is withheld at source you may have to pay quarterly taxes.

You can't file Single. Your choices are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. With recent tax law changes there are very few circumstances where the latter yields a better result.

civilservant Jul 15th 2019 8:34 pm

How do you have Med A without ever been resident in the US? Wife's contributions?

If so, are you sure you qualify for Part B?

tiguera Jul 16th 2019 6:18 pm

Hi civil servant,

Ive been entitled to part B ever
since my wife took her s/s.
Believe it or not they pay me s/s every month also.
This is an extract fron the s/s site The eligibility rules for Part B depend on whether a person is eligible for premium-free Part A or whether the individual has to pay a premium for Part A coverage.

Individuals who are eligible for premium-free Part A are also eligible for enroll in Part B once they are entitled to Part A. Enrollment in Part B can only happen at certain times.

Hope this helps you.

tiguera Jul 16th 2019 6:28 pm

Hi,
Many thanks for your kind reply.

Would you suggest I download the forms from the internet or contact the IRS direct.as soon as I get there.

Our income is from UK Gov pension private pension and US social security/

We are aware of the WEP rule that will affect our US social security.

Kind regards.

celticgrid Jul 16th 2019 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by tiguera (Post 12711143)
Our income is from UK Gov pension private pension and US social security/

We are aware of the WEP rule that will affect our US social security.

Does it not already affect it?

Giantaxe Jul 16th 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tiguera (Post 12711143)
Would you suggest I download the forms from the internet or contact the IRS direct.as soon as I get there.

if you're referring to quarterly tax payments, all the forms and instructions are online. But your wife should have been filing a US tax return when resident in the UK, so I'm a little confused why you're asking this.

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 12711157)
Does it not already affect it?

Yes, assuming the OP is currently taking both US social security and UK state pension.

sid nv Jul 16th 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tiguera (Post 12711137)
Hi civil servant,

Ive been entitled to part B ever
since my wife took her s/s.
Believe it or not they pay me s/s every month also.
This is an extract fron the s/s site The eligibility rules for Part B depend on whether a person is eligible for premium-free Part A or whether the individual has to pay a premium for Part A coverage.

Individuals who are eligible for premium-free Part A are also eligible for enroll in Part B once they are entitled to Part A. Enrollment in Part B can only happen at certain times.

Hope this helps you.

Re Medicare, I take it you are aware of the potential penalty for late enrollment in part B? I am no expert, but I think if you are covered by the NHS prior to moving then you may qualify to avoid the late enrollment penalty.