Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taxes on personal belongings?

Taxes on personal belongings?

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taxes on personal belongings?

I'm looking at getting some of my personal belongings over with me (or rather sent with a courier).

Some of these are my audio hi-hi equipment that I've built myself so has some personal relevance (and is very good :-) ).
And then some of my auto parts for my car in the US (I have the same model car in both countries)

Do we have to pay any taxes or customs fees when sending items like this?

Any help or link to thread with the answers much appreciated.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes on personal belongings?

Originally Posted by Jonion
I'm looking at getting some of my personal belongings over with me (or rather sent with a courier).

Some of these are my audio hi-hi equipment that I've built myself so has some personal relevance (and is very good :-) ).
And then some of my auto parts for my car in the US (I have the same model car in both countries)

Do we have to pay any taxes or customs fees when sending items like this?

Any help or link to thread with the answers much appreciated.
There is usually a blanket exemption on customs duties on personal effects that you've owned for a year or longer if you are a new immigrant or a returning resident. If you're using a shipper, they should provide the relevant paperwork to fill out.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

stuexeter is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember what value it is up to, it's fairly generous though, but there is a 10 year tax free period to get your old household items shipped as a returning resident.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers both.

I was fearing having to pay up to date taxes on things that are 5-15 years old and probably costing as much to ship as they are really worth in today's market.