Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

Originally Posted by Elvira
The NYC transport system is of course very typical of the rest of the US...

And I still don't know whether there's such a thing as a free bus pass for OAPs in the US.
doubt it...though some cinema's offer an OAP rate to AARP members, and the odd hair dresser....but there isn't a big general discount for oap's or students around here.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:38 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kins;5384517]

In the UK we got a bit of tax credit help, and child benefit - maybe £1500 a year total. Here we get none of that.

I thought there was $1000 tax credit per child in the US?

Claim it on your tax form.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mallory;5386220]
Originally Posted by kins

In the UK we got a bit of tax credit help, and child benefit - maybe £1500 a year total. Here we get none of that.

I thought there was $1000 tax credit per child in the US?

Claim it on your tax form.
Yes we've already claimed it, I believe. But how does it work, out of interest? Do you save $1000 off your taxes, or do they give you $1000 worth of income tax free? We just got my husband's company to work out how much tax we are liable for. I think we are in danger of hitting Alternative Minimum Tax because we pay so little Federal Tax but I just don't know much about the system yet.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

And I still don't know whether there's such a thing as a free bus pass for OAPs in the US.

I don't know a lot of OAPs that want to take the bus.....there is usually Dial A Ride which is a much better system (takes them directly to the spot they need to go and then picks them up later and takes them home - all for a nominal fee)
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:42 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't know a lot of OAPs that want to take the bus.....there is usually Dial A Ride which is a much better system (takes them directly to the spot they need to go and then picks them up later and takes them home - all for a nominal fee)
I've never heard of dial a ride - how does that work? I searched on Houston Dial a Ride and it just came back with a bunch of limo companies. Is it just a subsidised taxi service?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've never heard of dial a ride - how does that work? I searched on Houston Dial a Ride and it just came back with a bunch of limo companies. Is it just a subsidised taxi service?
You call them up and arrange a mini bus to come out and pick up and take to a destination, then arrange a time for them to come back and get you. In California its usually called Dial A Ride - I think its the same thing in Oregon. I do know in California that is primarily for the disabled and elderly. Its not privately owned.....not that I know of.

When I googled I came back with Valley Metro in Arizon:

Valley Metro > Dial-a-Ride

Dial-a-Ride

Welcome to Valley Metro’s Dial-a-Ride Service

Photo of Dial-a-Ride vehicle with passengers and driver standing aroundThis section is designed to answer your questions about paratransit, a service complementing our regular fixed-route bus service. In it you will find a wealth of
information, including who to call in case you need to know more.

Valley Metro is committed to providing service and transportation options for all citizens; Dial-a-Ride offers one more way to complete your journey. We hope you’ll continue to take advantage of all the services we offer.

Dial-a-Ride exists as different types of service depending upon the city or town where the service exists. For instance, there can be Dial-a-Ride service for seniors, persons with disabilities, and the general public. To find out what type of service exists in your area, call 602-253-5000.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That seems to be another one thats passed Houston by... for a city of its size, with the traffic and pollution problems it has, the lack of interest/commitment to improving public transport is incredible....weekday park and ride, a poxy little light rail project in downtown that opened 3 years ago and err, I think thats it! There isn't even a decent taxi service on offer other than "close in". Although to be fair, folk round here seem to be wedded to their cars, so it'd be a mammoth task persuading them to actually share a moving vehicle with strangers, shock horror - they may have to talk to someone (and we all know thats not true - Londoners have got away for years without ever having to talk to their fellow commuters on the tube or British Rail!)
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

moving vehicle with shock horror - they may have to talk to someone (and we all know thats not true - Londoners have got away for years without ever having to talk to their fellow commuters on the tube or British Rail!)
Ha ha.....my husband has taken the train from our local station in NJ for seven years into New York City to get to his office. He says that most people take the same train at the same time each weekday and waits at the same spot to get their favoured train carriage. Furthermore, no-one *ever* acknowledges each other, let alone talks to their fellow commuter.

{Also Yorkieabroad....surely you must remember the lack of etiquette of getting on and off the MRT trains in Singapore....?!}
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:29 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha.....my husband has taken the train from our local station in NJ for seven years into New York City to get to his office. He says that most people take the same train at the same time each weekday and waits at the same spot to get their favoured train carriage. Furthermore, no-one *ever* acknowledges each other, let alone talks to their fellow commuter.

{Also Yorkieabroad....surely you must remember the lack of etiquette of getting on and off the MRT trains in Singapore....?!}
How weird! I have on quite a few occasions taken the NJ Transit from Princeton, Metropark or Metuchin to EWR or Penn Station - and I nearly always end up talking to someone or other, either on the platform or on the train.

But maybe it's just me who's weird...
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:02 am

You know how theres always one person in the carriage and everyones thinking "oh god please let him/her sit somewhere else....please...not next to me...no...no...keep please walking aaaaaaaghhhhhhh sh!t"....."?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum

When I used to commute into London, the only time commuters ever spoke was when it was snowing, the trains broke down, or there was a bomb/scare.....

As for the MRT - with training like that, I'm amazed Singapore doesn't figure more highly in world cup rugby!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

As a daily commuter I wouldnt generally speak to people, now I'm not I'll talk to all and sundry on the tube, bus or wherever else for that matter ..

Edit - Oh taxes, VA was higher ... personal property tax is the biggest piss take I think I've ever heard of.