Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are taxes higher in the uk or usa?

Originally Posted by rbtuk
.........What the taxes actually get for me is a better environment to raise my children, better schooling and less crime (here in Ohio anyway).
Or you could have just moved to Putney.......... or Didsbury...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
make of this what you will:

Total Tax Wedge:

Single Worker USA 30.0%
Single Worker UK 29.7%

Single Income Family USA 19.4%
Single Income Family UK 17.8%

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-single-worker

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-income-family

Overall source: The OECD

I'm really not sure how it all balances out. I suspect the above to be about right, that is to say, its about the same once every little thing is considered.

However, I do feel like we are taxed less here - but to be sure there are plenty of "stealth" expenses - tipping, road tolls, etc.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbtuk
...But why has all of us decided to live here in the USA if we're not actually better off or have a higher standard of living...
Because of work opportunities, family and the chance was there to try something new.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because of work opportunities, family and the chance was there to try something new.
Indeed. Higher standard of living my rse...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJ2007
True - though I remember being stranded in Ireland once because the bus only came through once a day where I was. I was thinking it would be like England or France with frequent service - oops!

Which part of Ireland was that? Sounds like my old home....County Cork, lol
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
wasn't talking about cost of, just the provision for it...and for OAP's, yeah, it's dirt cheap in blighty. Those bus passes give 10p return ticket around the county, and when my mother went to see a mate in north wales, £10 for a return ticket from Oxford...that's pretty good going.
Yes but your saying that its ok to generalise that the US doesn't have public transportation - to me that's like saying its cheap in the UK for public transportation......
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes but your saying that its ok to generalise that the US doesn't have public transportation - to me that's like saying its cheap in the UK for public transportation......
no it's not, the same I mean.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
no it's not, the same I mean.
a generalisation is a generalisation......
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
a generalisation is a generalisation......
one was talking about OAP's, the other was not...and it's fair to say the generally, there isn't much public transportation in the US, because there generally isn't.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:14 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
wasn't talking about cost of, just the provision for it...and for OAP's, yeah, it's dirt cheap in blighty. Those bus passes give 10p return ticket around the county, and when my mother went to see a mate in north wales, £10 for a return ticket from Oxford...that's pretty good going.
Actually, our buses here are cheaper than where my parents live in the UK (Lincolnshire). Not only that, many years ago buses stopped going to villages at weekends and only providing one bus service a day during the week. While there have been attempts to improve this, the cost is still a lot higher than what we pay here.

We have an excellent bus service here that is easily as good as the bus service we had in Nottingham when we lived in the UK. And it is cheaper here now than it was in Nottingham when we left 9 years ago.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:20 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ben
Actually, our buses here are cheaper than where my parents live in the UK (Lincolnshire). Not only that, many years ago buses stopped going to villages at weekends and only providing one bus service a day during the week. While there have been attempts to improve this, the cost is still a lot higher than what we pay here.

We have an excellent bus service here that is easily as good as the bus service we had in Nottingham when we lived in the UK. And it is cheaper here now than it was in Nottingham when we left 9 years ago.
The NYC transport system is of course very typical of the rest of the US...

And I still don't know whether there's such a thing as a free bus pass for OAPs in the US.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:23 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben

buses, buses here in america you've got to be kidding me

i know you have the luxury of buses but no such luck here if there were any you'd fry just waiting for it.

it's not cheaper living here than in surrey uk, i know that for a fact. our overall outgoings for the two of us here are much higher than in the uk and we don't even socialize here but do in the uk.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
Which part of Ireland was that? Sounds like my old home....County Cork, lol
County Clare I believe. We were staying in a hostel near the Cliffs of Moher, and walked to the cliffs. Seemed like a good idea at the time - but was quite a hike!

Ireland's a beautiful country. The hospitality of the people blew me away. My roommate in college had ancestors in Ireland (I know, groan) and we met up with some distant relatives in Swanlinbar in County Cavan I believe. Wonderful people - two brothers showed us around and were like the odd couple. One was very religious (holy water all over the house) while the other continually complained of his "bloody hangover" and took us to the pub. They drove us into Northern Ireland, took us to the mouth of the River Shannon, and gave us insight into the culture (both had lived in New York for a long time). Unbelievable experience that I'll never forget.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family with three kids. My husband earns exactly the same gross pay in the US now as he did in the UK before we moved, at the current exchange rate.

His take home income here, after tax, life insurance and health insurance is exactly the same as his take home pay was in the UK after tax and NI.

In the UK we got a bit of tax credit help, and child benefit - maybe £1500 a year total. Here we get none of that.

In the UK we paid £1000 a year council tax, here we are paying $6000 a year property tax on a slightly bigger house.

As for stealth taxes, I spend most of my money on utilities, food, petrol and children's shoes/clothes/activities. I think overall they're cheaper in the US but I have no idea how the taxes compare.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ben

yup, because NYC is just like every other city.

Hell, I'm not far from beantown, and the commuter rail isn't far, but it's bloody expensive, buses, well there's a service that takes you to the mall and hospital, but it's not cheap, nor regular and there isn't anything to get you around to other towns, you've got to go into down town boston. Boston does have great public transport, but it quickly becomes nothing outside of down town.

As for Maine, well there's greyhound stop in bangor, waterville, augusta, and portland, and a bus service in bangor and portland which don't leave the city...and the train service, got to go to Portland, about the only train is to Boston.

That kind of public transport is far more common than downtown Boston, NY, San Fran.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.