Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taxes in Florida

Taxes in Florida

Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all
Default Taxes in Florida

I'm trying to work out the sort of income I need to negotiate in my move to Florida, I've read somewhere that there is no Personal Income Tax in florida, so from my Annual Salary, what sort of taxes would I be expected to pay ? Surely the salary I earn is not going to be my take-home pay.
Can anyone help ?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes in Florida

Originally Posted by helens
I'm trying to work out the sort of income I need to negotiate in my move to Florida, I've read somewhere that there is no Personal Income Tax in florida, so from my Annual Salary, what sort of taxes would I be expected to pay ? Surely the salary I earn is not going to be my take-home pay.
Can anyone help ?
Federal Income tax
Social Security
Medicare .....
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Federal Income tax
Social Security
Medicare .....
OK, so the Company will provide Health Insurance, so do I need to contribute to Medicare ?
What are the tax rates for Federal Income Tax and Social Security, does anyone know ?
Is there somewhere I can go to find out the answers ?
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so the Company will provide Health Insurance, so do I need to contribute to Medicare ?
What are the tax rates for Federal Income Tax and Social Security, does anyone know ?
No idea ..I never joined that club
try
www.irs.gov
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:20 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have to pay Social Security and Medicare in addition to any private health insurance you have.

Social Security is 6.2% of your wage up to ~$97,500.
Medicare is 1.45%, with no cap.

The 2007 tax levels will be on the IRS link Ray posted. The site is actually really informative. Search for "federal tax schedules" to see some easy to use tables.

However, I'm prepared to bet that your employer won't provide health insurance to you for free. The cost of your health insurance is likely to be the biggest deduction from your pay check. Expect anything from $200 to $500 per month, or more, even if your employer is picking up the majority of the cost.

Last edited by dbj1000; Sep 29th 2007 at 2:24 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yes, you have to pay Social Security and Medicare in addition to any private health insurance you have.

Social Security is 6.2% of your wage up to ~$97,500.
Medicare is 1.45%, with no cap.

The 2007 tax levels will be on the IRS link Ray posted. The site is actually really informative. Search for "federal tax schedules" to see some easy to use tables.

However, I'm prepared to bet that your employer won't provide health insurance to you for free. The cost of your health insurance is likely to be the biggest deduction from your pay check. Expect anything from $200 to $500 per month, or more, even if your employer is picking up the majority of the cost.
Luckily my employer will pick up all the medical costs, since they already pay the US and Canadian employees and they already pay for private UK cover
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily my employer will pick up all the medical costs, since they already pay the US and Canadian employees and they already pay for private UK cover
Are you sure about that......... what about co-pays and deductibles...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are you sure about that......... what about co-pays and deductibles...
Well I'm not 100% sure so I'd need to find out exactly during my negotiations
I'm hoping that I can get an annual insurance to cover me for the first year and maybe return to the UK and renew it if necessary for the next one.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I'm hoping that I can get an annual insurance to cover me for the first year and maybe return to the UK and renew it if necessary for the next one.
I feel like my salary request is already going up and up
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:39 pm
Ray

Very little chance from a UK provider
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Very little chance from a UK provider
What does this mean ? 'Very little chance from a UK provider'
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:45 pm
Ray

What does this mean ? 'Very little chance from a UK provider'
If you thought you can get any insurance from the UK to last a year ...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
If you thought you can get any insurance from the UK to last a year ...
Oh OK, well there are quite a few that offer long stay travel insurance, so long as you renew from the UK and you are classed as a UK resident (which on an L1 visa you are). We used them before, they also offer Gap Year Travel too for medical expenses etc.
You obviously can't do this once you get a Green Card, since then you aren't classed as a UK resident.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:01 pm
Ray

Oh OK, well there are quite a few that offer long stay travel insurance, so long as you renew from the UK and you are classed as a UK resident (which on an L1 visa you are). We used them before, they also offer Gap Year Travel too for medical expenses etc.
You obviously can't do this once you get a Green Card, since then you aren't classed as a UK resident.
Things have changed there then ...
That would certainly save a lot of money
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK, well there are quite a few that offer long stay travel insurance, so long as you renew from the UK and you are classed as a UK resident (which on an L1 visa you are). ....
Are you sure about that? The IRS will consider you resident, even if USCIS won't.

As far as I'm aware, travel policies are for UK residents whose main residence and employment is in the UK. Most also put a limit on single trips - typically either 1 month or 3. They also only pay for emergency care and expect you to return to the UK as soon as you are physically able to travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.