Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taxes in Florida

Taxes in Florida

Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes in Florida

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are you sure about that? The IRS will consider you resident, even if USCIS won't.

As far as I'm aware, travel policies are for UK residents whose main residence and employment is in the UK. Most also put a limit on single trips - typically either 1 month or 3. They also only pay for emergency care and expect you to return to the UK as soon as you are physically able to travel.
http://www.coeconnections.co.uk/
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Still, it's only open to UK residents...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 5:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Still, it's only open to UK residents...
Thats where it get difficult ..
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats where it get difficult ..
OK, so you may be right, but the conditions for one company I found is that I must be resident in the UK for the previous 6 months, so it may help us a little for the first year at least. The insurance for a family for 12 months, including winter sports cover and luggage is £843.76
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:47 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by helens
OK, so you may be right, but the conditions for one company I found is that I must be resident in the UK for the previous 6 months, so it may help us a little for the first year at least. The insurance for a family for 12 months, including winter sports cover and luggage is £843.76
Thats sounds more like travel (vacation) insurance ...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats sounds more like travel (vacation) insurance ...
It is and it isn't it's called 'An extended stay travel insurance' for people who may want to play or work for up to 12 months ?!
It will cover the emergencies, which I guess will do us to begin with.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:25 pm
Ray

It is and it isn't it's called 'An extended stay travel insurance' for people who may want to play or work for up to 12 months ?!
It will cover the emergencies, which I guess will do us to begin with.
It might.. but be careful ..This has come up before ..
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Right. A simple doctors visit will run you $100 or so, quite likely even more. That just covers sitting in the office and seeing the doctor, anything else is extra. Also, be sure you know what an emergency is, what the max coverage is and how they will pay. Most policies like that I've seen you have to pay and they reimburse you. If you have a real emergency then you could very easily be looking at $100k+ that you will have to fork over to the hospital then don't expect the insurance company to pay you back in a flash. When I worked in medical claims processing I saw claims for $250k-$1million on a daily basis.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK, well there are quite a few that offer long stay travel insurance, so long as you renew from the UK and you are classed as a UK resident (which on an L1 visa you are). We used them before, they also offer Gap Year Travel too for medical expenses etc.
You obviously can't do this once you get a Green Card, since then you aren't classed as a UK resident.
I think you'll find the insurance will not cover you because you will be a resident of the US...living and working here on a L1 visa even if it's not a GC. Those types of policies are for residents of the UK who are temporarily in the US...which you will not be.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:34 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yes, you have to pay Social Security and Medicare in addition to any private health insurance you have.

Social Security is 6.2% of your wage up to ~$97,500.
Medicare is 1.45%, with no cap.

The 2007 tax levels will be on the IRS link Ray posted. The site is actually really informative. Search for "federal tax schedules" to see some easy to use tables.

However, I'm prepared to bet that your employer won't provide health insurance to you for free. The cost of your health insurance is likely to be the biggest deduction from your pay check. Expect anything from $200 to $500 per month, or more, even if your employer is picking up the majority of the cost.
My family coverage is $40 every two weeks. This includes dental. I have a PPO which is something between traditional insurance and an HMO. I have a $15 copay and prescriptions are $20 (but much cheaper if you do them by mail....blood pressure meds, etc.). There is a $100 deductible per person for things like surgery, cat-scans, etc. But everything else...dr. visits, lab work, x-rays there is no deductible. All dental checkups are free, anything else I have to pay 20%, ins. pays 80%.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:38 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
My family coverage is $40 every two weeks. This includes dental. I have a PPO which is something between traditional insurance and an HMO. I have a $15 copay and prescriptions are $20 (but much cheaper if you do them by mail....blood pressure meds, etc.). There is a $100 deductible per person for things like surgery, cat-scans, etc. But everything else...dr. visits, lab work, x-rays there is no deductible. All dental checkups are free, anything else I have to pay 20%, ins. pays 80%.
Lucky you. You can give yourself a big pat on the back for finding such a good health plan. I hope you don't think it's common - if you change company you could be in for a real shock.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:49 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you. You can give yourself a big pat on the back for finding such a good health plan. I hope you don't think it's common - if you change company you could be in for a real shock.
One of the things that I (and most of the people I know) have always considered when making job choices are the healthcare benefits. I work in public education now and have a somewhat lower paying job than what I could have in the private sector. However, healthcare benefits are great. When I worked for Cincinnati Public Schools ('98 & '99) healthcare was free to teachers if they chose the HMO option!

However, I have not always worked in the public sector, but I've always worked for larger, established companies in the midwest that offered very good health care. My ex works for a large hospital group that offers great benefits also. In my 20+ years as an adult, I have found that a lot of smaller firms (esp. consultants/job contractors) offer nice salaries but are sh*t when it comes to benefits. My UK hubby is in the 4th phase (out of 5) of hiring for a local position with the city we live in. The pay is not great, but okay. However, the benefits (including healthcare options after retirement) are great. Good healthcare is out there, but you have to make choices. Unfortunately, it is not always available to everyone and I do not see it happening anytime soon. I don't think the majority of Americans are ready for nationalized healthcare.....someday maybe, but not right now.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so now I'm totally confused, what sort of Health Insurance package should I be looking for, can anyone point me in the direction of some decent web-sites, I was under the impression that my company paid for health insurance, but terms such as co-pay are alien to me, so I need to read up on it. Thanks for all the help so far, I need all the feedback as I want to be prepared.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so now I'm totally confused, what sort of Health Insurance package should I be looking for, can anyone point me in the direction of some decent web-sites, I was under the impression that my company paid for health insurance, but terms such as co-pay are alien to me, so I need to read up on it. Thanks for all the help so far, I need all the feedback as I want to be prepared.
Who do you work for? What size company? If its a big multi national, chances are the plans they offer will be fine and just about the best you can get. If not, and they are wanting to send you over here, make bloody well sure they cover you properly, otherwise don't come. Get the plan details from them and post the key points on here and we'll be able to advise you better.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dan725
Who do you work for? What size company? If its a big multi national, chances are the plans they offer will be fine and just about the best you can get. If not, and they are wanting to send you over here, make bloody well sure they cover you properly, otherwise don't come. Get the plan details from them and post the key points on here and we'll be able to advise you better.
Ok Will do, I work for a Canadian Comapany, around 100 employees, with offices in West Coast USA and also UK. I'm being transferred (well that's the idea at least) to the East Coast USA (Florida)
I'm going to Canada in two weeks to discuss terms, so I'll know more then, I'm just trying to get my facts together and understand things such as Taxes, Health Insurance etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.