Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Dondo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes - eugh !!

Sorry, this is a convoluted question:

I'm working in the US on a 5 year (E1) visa for a UK company
I'm treated as a resident alien for tax purposes
I've been here 3 years

I have a house in the UK and am thinking of selling it - but as I understand it the fact that I am here on secondment through my employer potentially changes the rules on capital gains tax.
The money from the UK sale would be (in part) brought here, but most (if not all) would be reinvested in a more rentable property in the UK.

I also understand that the point at which I apply for (and receive) a green card, changes the tax status irrevocably.

Can anyone suggest an expert in this area? I'm looking for someone who's an expert in US tax obviously but also intimately familiar with the reciprocity agreements that exist between UK & US when it comes to taxes.

Any contacts gratefully received........................
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:43 am
Just Joined

armstrongsoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxes - eugh !!

Originally Posted by Dondo
Sorry, this is a convoluted question:

I'm working in the US on a 5 year (E1) visa for a UK company
I'm treated as a resident alien for tax purposes
I've been here 3 years

I have a house in the UK and am thinking of selling it - but as I understand it the fact that I am here on secondment through my employer potentially changes the rules on capital gains tax.
The money from the UK sale would be (in part) brought here, but most (if not all) would be reinvested in a more rentable property in the UK.

I also understand that the point at which I apply for (and receive) a green card, changes the tax status irrevocably.

Can anyone suggest an expert in this area? I'm looking for someone who's an expert in US tax obviously but also intimately familiar with the reciprocity agreements that exist between UK & US when it comes to taxes.

Any contacts gratefully received........................
Unfortunately, you are correct. The fact that you have been in the USA long enough to be taxed as resident, it means that your worldwide income is reportable and taxable in the USA. Which means that your capital gain overseas is reportable and taxable. Now, if you may be eligible for Foreign Tax Credit to offset your US income tax if the gain is also taxed by foreign government.

It will not change even if you get a Green Card. Hope it helps.

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:26 am.