Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

taxes on company shares.. what happen now?

taxes on company shares.. what happen now?

Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default Re: taxes on company shares.. what happen now?

Originally Posted by nun
I don't see anything unfair in this at all.
I guess my point was that its "unfair" that they are taxing us on something we havent actually cashed yet. I get that we didnt pay for anything and that they view it as being ours but they should wait that you cash them in and then tax you on what you got.. but thats my view anyway.. for the moment for me its "unfair" because we got taxed on a $5 value and they are down under $3 so it would be a huge loss..
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:59 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
one more question if I may.. what happens if we dont sell them this year and we then leave the country.. and then sell them next year when we dont have any other form of income? would we still have to do a tax return of some sort just for them?
What happens will depend on your immigrations status and net worth. If you are not a permanent US resident and leave the country and then sell your shares there will be no US capital gains tax due as non-resident aliens do not pay US capital gains on sales of stock. You will have to comply with capital gains tax rules where you are currently living though.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nun
What happens will depend on your immigrations status and net worth. If you are not a permanent US resident and leave the country and then sell your shares there will be no US capital gains tax due as non-resident aliens do not pay US capital gains on sales of stock. You will have to comply with capital gains tax rules where you are currently living though.
that makes sense! thank you
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I know it feels unfair, but overall you'd have got a good deal on those shares, and you never know soon they might be up! And if they stay down the loss will reduce your taxable income when you do sell them.

There are other things they give you that feel free until you see your next pay slip. My friend won an award for being the top person in sales (or something) and it was five days in Hawaii. Great eh? Then her next paycheck had it included as taxable income valued at something like $2000 and she had to pay about $400 in taxes on it!

At least with stocks you'll get cash out of them at some point!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jscl
I know it feels unfair, but overall you'd have got a good deal on those shares, and you never know soon they might be up! And if they stay down the loss will reduce your taxable income when you do sell them.

There are other things they give you that feel free until you see your next pay slip. My friend won an award for being the top person in sales (or something) and it was five days in Hawaii. Great eh? Then her next paycheck had it included as taxable income valued at something like $2000 and she had to pay about $400 in taxes on it!

At least with stocks you'll get cash out of them at some point!
I laughed reading your post but I find this terrible!!
I know overall we are lucky to even have them, I guess I just hate taxes ahah.. Like I said its a good job we are not desperate, we will just leave them in this account and wait patiently that they at least get back to a decent price..
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:10 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
I guess my point was that its "unfair" that they are taxing us on something we havent actually cashed yet. I get that we didnt pay for anything and that they view it as being ours but they should wait that you cash them in and then tax you on what you got.. but thats my view anyway.. for the moment for me its "unfair" because we got taxed on a $5 value and they are down under $3 so it would be a huge loss..
This is the gamble you take when you get part of your compensation is stock. When company gives the stock to the employee it has to be included as income. If the stock price then goes down, well that's bad luck......startup companies sometimes pay in stock as it reduces the salary bill and kicks it down the road a bit. If the company is successful it's great, but if the company fails you are left with not much in actual cash salary and a lot of worthless stock.

The other option is to give an employee stock options. There you get the option to buy company shares at a discounted price and hopefully then sell then for a gain. In that case there is no income tax because you use your own money to buy the shares, but you obviously pay capital gains tax.