Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taxes...... Again!

Taxes...... Again!

Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:46 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Taxes...... Again!

Does anyone know of any software that can handle a move between two states?

I've tried TurboTax on-line but it only allows you to file a single state return.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes...... Again!

Originally Posted by RoB1833

I've tried TurboTax on-line but it only allows you to file a single state return.

We ( I say we, but meant the other half) used H&R Block Tax Cut... and everything seemed to be sorted and we had to do it for two states... hope this helps...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

For your circumstances, you have to complete a state return for each state. In your case this would be one for NC and one for MA, right?

Doesn't Turbo Tax online you complete one state tax return then another?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:55 pm
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For your circumstances, you have to complete a state return for each state. In your case this would be one for NC and one for MA, right?

Doesn't Turbo Tax online you complete one state tax return then another?

NC Penguin
No I tried Turbo Tax last night and it would only let me file one state tax return.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I am facing the same problem this tax season. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself!! Just pay an accountant $100 and something dollars and they do it all for you!!!

Money very well spent!
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

No I tried Turbo Tax last night and it would only let me file one state tax return.
In that case, I'd say Turbo Tax is a piece of crap (based on your experience). Hundreds of Americans relocate elsewhere in the country annually.

Have you tried clearing the cookies relating to Turbo Tax on your computer then trying to do another state tax return?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:49 pm
Professional Mover

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
In that case, I'd say Turbo Tax is a piece of crap (based on your experience). Hundreds of Americans relocate elsewhere in the country annually.

Have you tried clearing the cookies relating to Turbo Tax on your computer then trying to do another state tax return?

NC Penguin
Not clearing the cookies, but at the end I deleted my MA return and then did a return for NC, I'm sure that both would need to be there to get a correct figureand the problem is that you can only e-file one federal and one state return on the site which means we'd end up sending two federal returns if we did it that way!
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:59 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I just filed with Turbo Tax and LOVE IT! Haven't tried two states though. They have online help - contact them, I bet there's a way to do it.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

Federal tax return is free if you do it this way:
Go to www.irs.gov
select efile.
select HRBLOCK.

In HRBLOCK:
Enter data for federal tax return (free).
Enter data for 1st state tax return ($14.95).
Enter data for 2nd state tax return ($14.95).
efile returns.

I moved from TN to MA.
When I entered the MA state return as partial year resident it let me enter the amounts to be excluded from the return (i.e. amount earned outside MA).
No return needed for TN.

Last edited by austin_d_powers; Feb 16th 2005 at 5:28 pm.