Taxes?

Old Jun 29th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jeff

Default Taxes?

Just wondering if anyone knows what are the U.S. tax liabilities for my wife who is
in the AOS phase of immigration.... She works for a foreign government agency as a
contractor and we're trying to determine which taxes she'll be responsible for when
we file next year. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this type of
situation? We haven't found any useful info in the web so far and would like to
understand the situation better.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Old Jul 1st 2002, 12:21 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Taxes?

Firstly if you file jointly she is treated just as you are and is taxed on her
worldwide income; even if you file separately, she would probably be treated as a
resident for tax purposes anyway, If you are in the US for more than 183 days in the
year you are treated as a resident most of the time.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Jeff" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering if anyone knows what are the U.S. tax liabilities for my
wife
    > who is in the AOS phase of immigration.... She works for a foreign government
    > agency as a contractor and we're trying to determine which
taxes
    > she'll be responsible for when we file next year. Does anyone have any knowledge or
    > experience with this type of situation? We haven't found any useful info in the web
    > so far and would like to understand the situation better.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Jeff