taxes

Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Parkjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taxes

i am in need of converting my UK tax return into a USA tax return, i have paid all taxes due in the UK, but need to file with the IRS, please assist,thank you
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taxes

Originally Posted by Parkjd
i am in need of converting my UK tax return into a USA tax return, i have paid all taxes due in the UK, but need to file with the IRS, please assist,thank you
There is not nearly enough information to offer any opinion. Why do you need to file US taxes, US citizenship, US source income etc.?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

hello,i have lived in the UK with my wife of 6 years , and we are starting proceedings to move back there, being the idiot i am,i filed taxesand paid taxes here here not there,,so i have a few years of filing to catch up on,,i have never made over the limit that i recently read about,,but still need to show i have filed with the IRS for the past few years,cheers, and thanks for your help,,i do have all my UK taxincome information,,just need to convert it to US IRS forms,thank you
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

and thank you Nun for any help, it is very much appreciated! I am a US Citizen , she is UK citizen and i am sponsoring her visa,so i need to show my taxes filed, cheers and thanks again your a star!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

hello,i have lived in the UK with my wife of 6 years , and we are starting proceedings to move back there, being the idiot i am,i filed taxesand paid taxes here here not there,,so i have a few years of filing to catch up on,,i have never made over the limit that i recently read about,,but still need to show i have filed with the IRS for the past few years,cheers, and thanks for your help,,i do have all my UK taxincome information,,just need to convert it to US IRS forms,thank you
Are you sure you did not meet the US income tax filing limits? What limit did you read about? What was your taxable income for the past 6 years? Also did you ever have more than $10k in accounts in the UK, if so you need to file FBARs. I would probably seek some professional advice to make sure you are either already compliant with US taxation or to help you get back into compliance if you are not.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:48 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Pete Newton. www.britishexpatstax.com. I have used him for the past few years. He's an expert on both US and UK taxes.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

thank you i will contact him tommorrow,, Never had more than 10 grand in the bank ever,and it was on a tax treaty website that stated the amounts you could earn before you had to pay both US and UK tax,and i earned alot less,,not a homeowner, thanks again for your help,cheers
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

thank you i will contact him tommorrow,, Never had more than 10 grand in the bank ever,and it was on a tax treaty website that stated the amounts you could earn before you had to pay both US and UK tax,and i earned alot less,,not a homeowner, thanks again for your help,cheers

That sounds like a good idea.

Just an FYI - you have to file US tax and UK tax if you meet the individual country's income thresholds, so for US taxes that's $3800 for married filing separately or $19500 (if you and your spouse are under 65) if you file jointly. I get the feeling that you might be thinking about the US Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and that is $95100 for 2012.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Contact Pete Newton. www.britishexpatstax.com. I have used him for the past few years. He's an expert on both US and UK taxes.
+1
Old Nov 5th 2012, 2:22 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
+1
+2
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Like Share Print
Instructions for New Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures for Non-Resident, Non-Filer U.S. Taxpayers
On June 26, 2012, the IRS announced new streamlined filing compliance procedures for non-resident U.S. taxpayers to go into effect on September 1, 2012. These procedures are being implemented in recognition that some U.S. taxpayers living abroad have failed to timely file U.S. federal income tax returns or Reports of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs), Form TD F 90-22.1, but have recently become aware of their filing obligations and now seek to come into compliance with the law. These new procedures are for non-residents including, but not limited to, dual citizens who have not filed U.S. income tax and information returns.
Description of the New Streamlined Procedure,,,,,,,,, good news for me!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Like Share Print
Instructions for New Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures for Non-Resident, Non-Filer U.S. Taxpayers
On June 26, 2012, the IRS announced new streamlined filing compliance procedures for non-resident U.S. taxpayers to go into effect on September 1, 2012. These procedures are being implemented in recognition that some U.S. taxpayers living abroad have failed to timely file U.S. federal income tax returns or Reports of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs), Form TD F 90-22.1, but have recently become aware of their filing obligations and now seek to come into compliance with the law. These new procedures are for non-residents including, but not limited to, dual citizens who have not filed U.S. income tax and information returns.
Description of the New Streamlined Procedure,,,,,,,,, good news for me!
Be careful! Previous programs have cause many tax payers problems. It sounds as if you don't have FBAR issues, just a few years of missed filings. If you paid tax in the UK you probably have no US tax due and so you'll have no fines or interest to pay. Let Pete Newton help you out to make sure everything is done properly.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 6:02 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Pete lives in New York and might have been affected by the hurricane so he may not get back to you immediately.