Reload this Page >

Taxation for a new ex-pat living in U.S. on H1B

Taxation for a new ex-pat living in U.S. on H1B

Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

EiNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Taxation for a new ex-pat living in U.S. on H1B

Hi

Very new to all of this, but have a question. I am in the process of completing my tax return for the first time. I arrived in the U.S. on Sept23rd 2007 on a H1B (with my wife on a ?1B) - i have my W2 from my employer and have not made any significant life changes while being here.

Is there anything i should look out for and can i just fill out using TurboTax?

Thanks in advance for your words and advice

Best....Daniel
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

GeraldineGray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxation for a new ex-pat living in U.S. on H1B

You can claim for *all* of your relocation expenses because you moved here for work.

If your credit exceeds your tax paid for 2007, you can carry it over to the next year.

You can claim the professional services fee paid to the accountant who prepared your tax return.

Don't be cheap, get a good tax person - preferably one who used to work for the IRS. You will save thousands. Erm, as in we re-filed our taxed for three years and he found $22k that the corporate tax people had neglected to advise us of. And no, that wasn't based on a $500k salary!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

EiNYC is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks v. much.

*All* my relocation expenses were absorbed and/or reimbursed by my company, i am not out of pocket for anything i don't think?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:51 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Have you met the residence requirements for 2007? i.e., been in the country for X number of days? If so, just file a regular 1040 or 1040EZ online .
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EiNYC
thanks v. much.

*All* my relocation expenses were absorbed and/or reimbursed by my company, i am not out of pocket for anything i don't think?
Well, if you're sure that you didn't spend any money on anything then you can and that moving to the US was 100% covered and that using a CPA won't save you any money (even if you can actually write it off, regardless) you can just file as anyone else.

Then again, what about the rule that says how long you need to be working in the US in order to have to file a ta return . . .
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I have a tax question about the last year in the US on H1b.

We left the US on the 13th of July 07 and moved to Canada (having been in US for four and half years, hubby on H1b and me and kids on H4's) and I really do not understand which forms we should be filing now. We have not been able to get through to the IRS as the phone number they have on the site is a 1800, which won't let us connect from Canada.

They suggest using the London office for info, but it's the middle of the night here when they are available on the phone, and when I emailed them, they told us to fill out both a 1040 and a 1040NR and read publication 519.

Is that right, does any bright spark know?

I am particularly dim when it comes to trying to understand publication 519, which is why I emailed them in the first place.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

We left the US on the 13th of July 07 and moved to Canada (having been in US for four and half years, hubby on H1b and me and kids on H4's) and I really do not understand which forms we should be filing now. We have not been able to get through to the IRS as the phone number they have on the site is a 1800, which won't let us connect from Canada.

They suggest using the London office for info, but it's the middle of the night here when they are available on the phone, and when I emailed them, they told us to fill out both a 1040 and a 1040NR and read publication 519.

I am particularly dim when it comes to trying to understand publication 519, which is why I emailed them in the first place.
Surely you can just file the same old form you previously used . . . and it would be your last if you're not here to pay taxes.

I dunno, but am sure someone out there does.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

You need to do a dual-status tax year. There is a chapter on this with examples in publication 519. You will need to file forms 1040 and 1040NR. As only your husband worked I think that only he will need to file the return (you cannot do a joint return).