Taxation

Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough
Default Taxation

I asked my CPA about this and got an answer but I'm confused and thought I would check in here and see what people say.

If someone in the US has some stocks and bonds- which they draw income from and even take against principle- and are taxed heavily on them, what happens when that person moves to the UK? Are they then double taxed- both in the US and the UK?

In easier terms, if someone were to receive income from trust fund stocks in the US while living in the UK, how would that work tax wise?
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:00 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxation

Originally Posted by Beccarose
I asked my CPA about this and got an answer but I'm confused and thought I would check in here and see what people say.

If someone in the US has some stocks and bonds- which they draw income from and even take against principle- and are taxed heavily on them, what happens when that person moves to the UK? Are they then double taxed- both in the US and the UK?

In easier terms, if someone were to receive income from trust fund stocks in the US while living in the UK, how would that work tax wise?
Are these individual stocks and bonds or mutual funds?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Are these individual stocks and bonds or mutual funds?
Can I ask a different question?....if my OH works overseas for an overseas company does my OH have to pay tax in the UK? Many thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose

Speaking generally and assuming no interfering complications;
if you are resident in UK liable for UK tax then you would report to HMRC the dividend and interest income of US Stocks and Bonds that you hold directly.
The focus of HMRC is to tax income.

Then if you are also obliged to file tax in US while resident in UK (e.g. if you are a US citizen) you would be obliged to report said income to US, be liable for US tax on it BUT be able to claim credit for having paid tax in the UK.

In my case, US dividend and interest income is not taxed at source so I don't pay the US tax up-front; I file UK report and then I file US report and claim credit for UK tax paid and this results in no tax due to US.

Trust Fund Stock; - I don't have any and not sure what they are so regret cannot speak with any authority on that matter.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Can I ask a different question?....if my OH works overseas for an overseas company does my OH have to pay tax in the UK? Many thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread.
Hi, my answer is I don't know for sure because it depends on other circumstances.

First thing to know is if your OH is UK resident or not.

Then I would look on the HMRC website , here's a starter location http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/tax-return.htm and if still not clear I would phone HMRC 0845 300 0627 or drop in at a local HMRC inquiries office.

This can all be anonymous if you so wish