Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax withholding certificate?

Tax withholding certificate?

Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough
Default Tax withholding certificate?

We have just sold a property in Florida and know the IRS hold onto 10% of funds as we reside in the UK. Does anyone know how we go about claiming this back? I'm guessing there must be some UK residents on here who have sold in the US and also had to deal with this. Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax withholding certificate?

I believe you have to file a non resident tax return at the end of the year and get (some of) it back that way. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along soon.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax withholding certificate?

At the end of the year, you file a non resident alien tax return and you should get money back on any tax withheld that is not owed.

Since you may have purchased the property when property prices were high and little or no gain occurred, you could have applied for a "withholding certificate" from the IRS in advance of the sale to reduce withholdings to what you would have likely owed.

I believe the title/escrow company could have helped you obtain the certificate.