Reload this Page >

Tax when moving in middle of the year

Tax when moving in middle of the year

Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

arcticfox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax when moving in middle of the year

Hello community,

Does anyone know the US tax implications of moving from UK to US in the middle of a year?

I hope to obtain a Green Card and move on 10 August. I will not meet the Substancial Presence Test.

My understanding is that I will be taxable to the US from the day I arrive in the US following receipt of my Green Card (Residency Starting Date).

I wouldn’t want any foreign income earned before the move to be taxable in the US.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax when moving in middle of the year

Using your last sentence, then you'd file as a Non Resident Alien, which does reduce the options for reducing tax in the USA but ignores your time outside the USA before moving.

The alternative is to declare Dual Status but that does requires reporting foreign income and tax etc. as I remember from my first one.

If you take employment, you'll submit a W4 which outlines what witholdings are taken from your pay.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My husband moved to the US in August, 1998 and he met the substantial presence test and he didn't have a green card.

He filed as normally in Canada for 1998 and I used him as a resident for tax purposes on our US federal and state forms. He did not work in the US for the year 1998. His Canadian income was added to our US forms and we had a tax credit for the monies he paid to Canada Revenue.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 26th 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, doesn't GC remove the need for the substantial presence test anyway? meaning straight to Resident Alien.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Actually, doesn't GC remove the need for the substantial presence test anyway? meaning straight to Resident Alien.
Yes. Well, being a permanent resident does. The GC is just evidence of it. You can still be a dual status resident for that tax year though.