Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tax on UK Pension

Tax on UK Pension

Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

telfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax on UK Pension

I just started receiving my UK state pension and wondered how I go about declaring it on my US taxes.

I don;t earn enough in the UK to pay taxes on it there, will I pay taxes in the USA?

How do I list it on my tax form as I will have no forms from the UK to confirm the amount?

Sorry if this has been discussed at length previously, I did search but did not find an answer.

Terry
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on UK Pension

You report income from pensions on lines 16a (non taxable part) and 16b (taxable part) on form 1040, and you still use those lines even if the pension is from a different country and you don't have 1099-Rs (keep any statements you do have with your tax records, but don't send them to the IRS).

However, depending on tax treaty stuff and the nature of your pension, it's possible not all of it is taxable. Hopefully someone will come along who knows how that works with the state pension.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. It helps.

Terry
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:49 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a US tax resident your UK state pension is only taxable in the US, NOT the UK. To make sure there is no UK tax withheld form it you should file a US-Individual-2002 along with an US form 8802 that certifies your US residence.

You enter your UK state pension amount on line 16b of the 1040, it's all US taxable, and you can file a 4852 substitute 1099-R.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Nun.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by telfish
Many thanks Nun.
Just another wrinkle. If you are receiving US SS make sure that if your UK state pension was funded from non-voluntary NICs you report it to the SSA so WEP can be calculated.

Last edited by nun; Feb 6th 2013 at 2:00 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:17 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nun
Just another wrinkle. If you are receiving US SS make sure that if your UK state pension was funded from non-voluntary NICs you report it to the SSA so WEP can be calculated.
Are you saying they will not calculate WEP unless tell them to? I thought UK and US co-operated on social security so they each know your benefits in the other system. What are the penalites if they don't deduct WEP and find out many years later they should have? If I think I might have popped my clogs by then, I think I might just stay mum.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Are you saying they will not calculate WEP unless tell them to? I thought UK and US co-operated on social security so they each know your benefits in the other system. What are the penalites if they don't deduct WEP and find out many years later they should have? If I think I might have popped my clogs by then, I think I might just stay mum.
I don't know the penalties, but it's your responsibility to tell SSA about any non-SS pensions you have. You are asked if you have any when you apply for SS and should contact them is you start collecting any after SS starts. States and the Federal Government are in contact with SSA about the non-SS payments they pay, but I've never heard that the the UK does that.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
I don't know the penalties, but it's your responsibility to tell SSA about any non-SS pensions you have. You are asked if you have any when you apply for SS and should contact them is you start collecting any after SS starts. States and the Federal Government are in contact with SSA about the non-SS payments they pay, but I've never heard that the the UK does that.
I don't have enough points to collect SS so I will not be claiming any. My American wife will when she retires.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 3:44 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by telfish
I don't have enough points to collect SS so I will not be claiming any. My American wife will when she retires.

Thanks again for your advice.
You can claim as the spouse of someone who gets SS
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You can claim as the spouse of someone who gets SS
and Medicare, depending on the circumstances he may be able to claim that.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
and Medicare, depending on the circumstances he may be able to claim that.
I called into the SS office to claim Medicare on my wife's previous contributions and was told I would have to wait until she is 62 years old.

Which is a pity as I spend 700 dollars a month on a supplement to her healthcare plan for coverage!

Terry
Old Feb 13th 2013, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

ohiocalling is an unknown quantity at this point

can anybody advise me on this, thanks,

I am now a US Citizen, I am deferring my UK State pension that will be approx $1800 per month when I draw it in 3 years time.

I do receive a US SS pension of $120 per month based on my contributions in the USA.

I also have a personal pension I contributed to in the UK that is $650 per month.

Will I be hot by wep.

Also mu wife will get about $450 per month from the UK and will get $400 per month based on her US contributions.

Any thoughts.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:01 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ohiocalling
can anybody advise me on this, thanks,

I am now a US Citizen, I am deferring my UK State pension that will be approx $1800 per month when I draw it in 3 years time.

I do receive a US SS pension of $120 per month based on my contributions in the USA.

I also have a personal pension I contributed to in the UK that is $650 per month.

Will I be hot by wep.

Also mu wife will get about $450 per month from the UK and will get $400 per month based on her US contributions.

Any thoughts.
If your NI contributions were not voluntary and the UK pension contributions were from wages that you did not pay FICA tax on then you will be WEPed.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, what is WEP again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.